Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili and Smoke

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been thinking of doing some chili on my bge. But i've had my doubts about the ability of the chili to soak up the smoke flavor. Have I been wrong about this? I know alot of people use liquid smoke in bbq beans because of not being able to get the real smoke flavor in, so I'm assuming it would be the same problem with chili.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    brunswick3.jpg
    <p />Brandon:[p]The surface of your chili will soak up the smoke and regular stirring will mix the smoked surface into the chili. You need to sample your product periodically to make sure you are not introducing too much smoke as you can over do it.[p]Pictured is Brunswick stew that has had smoke introduced to it and is ready for serving.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Brandon,
    I get excellent smoke flavor in my BGE chile using 2-3 fist-sized chunks of hickory (any wood of your choice will do). Here is the recipe I've used in several eggfests with a lot of compliments :[p]Cow Lickin’ Chile[p]Ingredients :[p]olive oil
    1.5 lb. ground chuck
    1 lb. Italian sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups onion (chopped)
    1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped fine)
    1 Tbs. garlic (minced)
    1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid
    1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid
    1 can Rotel
    2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto or dark kidney beans (drained)
    3 Tbs. chili powder
    1.5 Tbs. ground cumin
    1 tsp. cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp. tabasco sauce
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    3 Tbs. DP Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups beef broth
    1 cup dry red wine
    2-3 dried chili peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    wood chunks [p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).
    Place cast iron dutch oven on the plate setter and allow it to warm up.
    Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
    Add 2 Tbs. olive oil to dutch oven, then add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).
    Close lid and cook for 1-1.5 hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
    Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
    Return dutch oven to egg, add olive oil and sauté onions, green pepper, and jalapenos until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours.
    Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    egret,
    You going to Oklahoma? Those patheic golfers from OK won't have Sandbagger. Talked to him today, he is a game day decision. Hope he makes it on Saturday. LOL[p]I personally don't think they have the Boomer Sooner in them to take us on again. LOL[p]Mike

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hey Mike,
    We're most likelt going to make it. Not 100%, but pretty close. I don't see any problem with those Okie girly-men, especially since we have big Joan on our side!!!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Kim and I are looking at making OK this year, you think you can avoid backing into a semi and make it this year? You owe me a rib. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    wreck3.jpg
    <p />AZRP,
    You have no idea how funny that post was. Inside joke I will fill you in on. I will be posting about Blues Hog as well if you can get some back.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    egret,
    I'm sure they will bring in a ringer. Hope you guys make it.[p]Mike