Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not a culinary masterpiece, but my secret pizza item

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1539.jpg
<p />This may be common knowledge but to some maybe not. The secret ingredient my family loves to all of my pizzas is one piece of finely diced smoked bacon. I trim the fat as it seems to take on too much smoke and is strong. This adds just the right amount of smoke taste, yet I've served pizza to folks who damn anything smokey but wonder out loud my secret ingredient! When smoked indirect at 250 bacon remains flat. I then stack the strips between wax paper into what I call a 2 x 4 and freeze it. There's actually 22 pieces in this stack pictured.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    RRP,
    How long is the cook?Is it indirect with drip pan under the bacon?

• RRP
    Options
    darnoc,
    I used my BGE raised grate for most of it and then with a dry foiled 9 x 11 pan underneath with another small wire rack straddling the pan for the remaining pieces. It took about 90 minutes and I flipped at 60 minutes. BTW using a Misto sprayer I misted the bacon at the start and again 3 times during the process with apple juice. Tastes great, but like I said the fat is too strong for our tastes so when I dice it I only use the meat portion with minimal fat.

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    RRP,
    Looks good.
    I do the same thing. Only I crumble mine up for bacon bit salad topping. May have to try that pizza thing.

• RRP
    Options
    jake42,
    I don't cook mine long enough to get crispy OTOH keeping them somewhat moist with the apple juice also retards the crispness I suppose. But yes, try a piece on your next pizza it's just a nice taste kicker.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the answer.Saw a picture of Car Wash Mikes and he did not mention time or temp.Cant wait to try it out. I like to sprinkle bacon on many things.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Ron: I had not seen this before. Thanks for posting it.
    I will be trying it out tomorrow.[p]Toy Man