Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok

Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering buying a wok and would like some input and recommendations as to the size to get. I’ll be using it to cook for 2 to 4 people.

Comments

• Michael B,
    I highly recommend a hand-hammered wok. They are carbon steel, need to be seasoned, and are really inexpensive. Here's one place to get one: http://www.amazon.com/inch-Hand-Hammered-incl-ring/dp/B00012F3H2[p]I've had one for years and nothing beats it. Once it's seasoned nothing sticks. Even on a pitiful gas cooktop it performs adequately. I just ordered an Egg so I can get hotter temps under my wok and I can't wait to try it out!

• Michael B,
    I use and am very happy with the cast iron wok from lodge. I believe threre is only size and it comes pre-seasoned for $65. It's worth every penny.
    B$

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Michael B,
    There is only one true wok. It is hammered steel. If you look at a wok, you will find that the bottom is much thicker than the sides. There is a reason for this. Heat transfer. Always cooking on high heat with a wok, the bottom tends not to burn the food being thicker and transfering the heat to the sides to dissipate. Electric, cast iron woks will not cook like a hammered wok. [p]Chef Jerry

• wokturkeyburner0001.jpg
    <p />Michael B, if you want to wok in the egg, then I suggest a 16 inch carbon steel wok. If you have access to a turkey fryer, then you can get real creative. This rig heats up real quick and can throw the BTUs. If I don’t watch the temp, it can get too hot. First time I used it, I walked into the house for a brief second, came back to ignited oil…another knucklehead mistake. T
  • Sandbagger,
    Wow, great idea! Did you make the wire holder yourself?

• Sandbagger,
    I have 2 questions: i have a steel wok which in MHO is the best.I used to use it on a conventional stove with eyes but can't because of a glass top.I have a large BGE which accomidates the wok but I have no idea how to set it up or temp for wok cooking.
    Secondly I want to get a pizza stone and I have the same questions as I do for the wok.
    I value your opinion Thanks[p]

• 121_2105.jpg
    <p />GATOR BOB, I made a ring to hold the wok. It also holds a medium bge porcelain or cast iron grid for searing steaks, bayou classic cast iron griddle, if you remove the side handles, for blackening stuff and a 12 or 14 inch pizza stone for indirect cooks. It sits about 2 inches into the fire ring, so it can take up lump space...It’s part of my adjustable rig set-up….email me if you need more detail. T

• yes, I'm such a sucker for toys and gadgets...

• chris
    chris Posts: 1
    Sandbagger,[p]Now Thats-A-Wok ! It should to be flaming hot right ?