Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NFL Playoffs, Turkey Wings and Chili . ..great day!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
two great football games. ..two very deserving winners . . .and some great egged food to go along with it. .. [p]did some turkey wings ....brushed with melted butter, seasoned with dizzy shaking the tree, then roasted on the small at 300 degrees indirect with a chunk of pecan and with my eggmates for about an hour. ..[p]IMG_0700.jpg[p]IMG_0703.jpg[p]did i say it was snowing? . . .small is cranking. . larges are still wearing their snow suits . ..[p]IMG_0702.jpg[p]finished turkey wings. ..couple of these were a meal in themselves. ..really good and meaty with great crispy skin ....i did the for the first time back at thanksgiving and they are really becoming a favorite of mine. ..[p]IMG_0706.jpg[p]then i threw a pot of chili on the large at around 300 degrees dome temp for about three hours. . ..good stuff .. .[p]IMG_0709.jpg[p]just doesn't get much better than this!! served up with grated chedder cheese and fresh corn bread. . ..[p]IMG_0710.jpg[p]hope everyone else had a great weekend !!!

Comments

• Cabdriver
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Man oh man, that looks great. I'm going to try the turkey wings -- hadn't thought about them before -- really only took an hour at 300 indirect? That seems short, but I guess they don't have a lot of meat on them. [p]I suppose you cooked the chili for a while on the stove then moved to the Egg?? I assume you are looking to impart some smokey flavor into the chili -- Is that is what you are striving for. Never done chili on the Egg.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    cabdriver,
    i don't know, may have been a bit hotter and bit longer, but not much. .. basically, cooked them till they hit 180 on my thermapen when probed between the two bones. ..[p]as far as the chili, i do the prep on the stove, but then the pot goes into the egg at 325 or so for a good three hours, getting a stir every 45 minutes to an hour or so. .. .[p]hey, everything is better in the egg. ...

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Everything looks awesome Max! No surprise. I'm going to have to try that turkey wing method. [p]Cheers,[p]John

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Did you say two good games. THE PATS LOST! Man what a come back from the Colts. I thought we had them for sure. Still a good day. 6 racks of Babybacks. Looks like your having a tougher winter then us. We have not had measurable snow yet.
    LOG

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That dog of yours has some large paws!!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I think that's the first photo I've ever seen of your Eggs, Max! And here I thought you probably had one of those fancy pants tables made of mahogany or ebony or some foreign wood, inlayed with fine mother-of-pearl or something. Instead it looks just about as messy as my setup - gosh, you must be a real guy after all! LOL! But I do have to wonder about the plastic ash pail under the vent . . . [p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Haggis,
    LOL. . .not smart or skilled enough to build my own tables, and not rich enough to buy one. ..would rather spend my money on hanger steaks. . ..[p]the plastic ash pail is for cleaning out the cold ashes only. . . gets moved when i actually fire up the egg. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    gadgetman,
    yep . .. "duffy" 100 pounds of lab/mastiff.. ...she snagged one of those turkey wings off the counter yesterday and i had to wrestle her to the floor, pry her mouth open and yank it out. ... wasn't THAT fun . ...she's a goof... [p]duffy.jpg

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOG,
    well, since i really didn't care who won in either game, i just found it really enjoyable football. ...[p]we had about 1 inch of snow topped with ice at my house. .. .not too big a deal getting to the office this morning . ..[p]i am not a fan of this global warming deal, i can tell you that. ...makes me wonder how much our eggs are contributing to the destruction of the ozone layer? :0)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Newbs,
    thanks john. .. yea, those turkey wings really got some great flavor. ..i've become a big fan of them, rather eat them than chicen wings. ..

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I see your footprints in the snow. You should have worm shoes!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Delicious looking meal, Max. I just scratched my computer screen trying to grab one of those turkey wings - I can just taste how crispy that skin is.[p]Is that one of those enamel coated lodge dutch ovens you're doing the chili in? I got my dad one for Christmas and he loves it.[p]Cheers,[p]jason
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    thanks jason, they was good (and if you read below, i had to wrestle one away from duffy - stupid dog!). .[p]nope, not lodge, but rather le creuset. ..i love the stuff, have a whole collection i've built up (we have a le creuset outlet with great prices not far from us). . .stuff works great in the egg and cleans up easy. ...i understand that when lodge got into the enameled cast iron, they actually went to france to figure out how to do it right (i'm not sure but i think they actually send it over there for the enamelling process - but i could be wrong on that one). . .[p]here is my le crueset collection..notice i got all green to match the eggs! . .. [p]DSCN1067.jpg

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Nice collection indeed! I've seen that le creuset stuff around more and more lately and you're right the prices are pretty decent, at least from what I've seen.[p]Looks like I've got something new to add to my *wish* list.[p]Cheers,[p]jason
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Quick question on the le crueset - it looks like the exterior stays clean and green - do you coat the outside with anything before putting it in the egg?? I have a LC french blue stock pot that I use for chili and it seems to take more elbow grease to get the exterior clean than the interior...[p]Thanks,
    Chris

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ChrisC,[p] If you coat the outside with a light coat of dish soap before the cook the soot will wipe right off. Works well on any metal surface.[p]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]That's an old Boy Scout trick. I can still remember when I told a new scout to do that and he soaped the inside of the pan as well - we all got sick and learned to be a bit more explicit with our orders!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Haggis,[p] It's a young Boy Scout trick too.. Yes I was a Patrol Leader who told a member of my patrol to soap the pot and we had boiled soapy ham for dinner. Before the next camping trip I had discovered the Dutch Ovens..