Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pulled pork with my new Guru

orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had to hold off on the brisket last night when I found out it would take 22 hours! Only one day off this week so put on a couple small butts to try out the guru. Stablized temp, then plugged in the fan, and it is "puffing" away, holding my 240 set point. I am duly impressed!
Here's the butts just put on with the probes in place.
DSCN0797.jpg[p]Here's she is purring along and holding temp for me.
DSCN0798.jpg[p]Ah yes, cant wait to dig in.
DSCN0799.jpg

Comments

• orion11,
    Very nice home for the Egg. Did you do the work yourself?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    orion11,
    Lookin good! Instead of getting the temp stabilized then plugging in the fan, I turn the Guru on then light the coals with the MAPP torch. I put in the plate setter, drip pan, and grid, then clip the pit sensor to the dome termometer stem and close it up, letting the guru bring it up to temp. -RP

• 127_2786.jpg
    <p />orion11, here is an idea to save countertop space. I picked up the 6" gate hinge from home depot for a couple bucks. It's a simple attachment: 1. trim (shorten to about 1.5 inches) the hinge leg that will connect to the egg; 2 attach the short hinge with a screw/nut combo through the back hole in the egg's lower band - it's the hole used to connect the eggmates - #10 flathead screw I think; 3. I made a clip to attach the guru. The clip tilts the guru for easier viewing. You could attach the guru using the screw/wing nut on the back and one of the holes on the swinging gate leg. Then just angle up the hinge before tightening to the egg's band...[p]127_2785.jpg[p]I like it because it swings out of the way, freeing up counter space and it's right there at the felt line. Plus it's an easy connect for the guru. I leave the gate hinge attached to the egg. Just another wacky thing I came up with....T

• AZRP,
    Same here. The Guru will overshoot some, but it will quickly stabilize where you want it.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The Naked Whiz,
    Mine usually only overshoots about 5-10 degrees which is taken care of as soon as the meat goes in. -RP

• AZRP, I set the guru about 25 degrees lower than the target temp and let the guru bring the egg up to cooking status, about one hour. When I close the egg for the cook, then I jump the pit temp to my desired cooking temp. [p]I'm not the most prepared cook and always forget something, so it is common place for me to have the dome open for extended periods when loading the egg. So the lump gets a jump start with the open dome. I find keeping the start-up pit temp a bit lower, covers my forgetfullness and lack of preparation.

• orion11
    AZRP,
    Cool, I will try that method next time. By the way, still humming along out there, 35 degrees short of 200 meat temp., cant wait to peek in there for the first time! Pretty cool, been running errands, hanging ceiling fans, etc., all day and havent had to mess with anything yet!!

• orion11
    SouthOfI10,
    I did and it was a no brainer, just alot of work. I have many pics and plans to build an island, if you are interested, shoot me an email and I can send you alot of good info..