Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

keeping the egg going while smoking a butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to know how to keep the grill going for the 20 hours it takes to smoke a pork butt for bbq. Or does it really take that long? Also, is there a rule for number of hours vs pounds on the butt?[p]thanks!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sharon, Its so simple it will amaze ya. Charcoal likes to burn chunk by chunk depending on the air flow it gets. I like to stir my old charcoal around..remove all the ash, rocks too if you find em..I do about 2 rocks a week out of the fire grate. Start a core fire, and as soon as its red hot dump a big fill of charcoal right on top. Half way or more up the fire ring if you want too. Shut down the lower vent to a 1/8 smidgen opening and put our grill setup in, meat on, close dome, adust top daisy (if you have one) and get ready to rumble for 16 to 24 hours depending on the size of your boston butt.
    If you add smoking woods add em just after you put a small amount of fresh charcoal on the hot core fire. Then load it up. The smoke will really roll.
    If ya need more help..yell at me at
    bbq-dude@home.com
    C~W
    BTW..there are a dozen methods and I am sure you will see em all...:-)[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sharon,
    CW, the BBQ Dude, has given you good advice. Once you get a good group of coals going in the center of your lump pile, add a couple of wood chunks right into the fire if you want extra smoke flavor, and close your bottom vent to maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. Your temp will slowly climb to your target (mine usually being 250 for most low/slows). Make small adjustments on your vents until your temp is stabilized. With occassional minor adjustments to the vent settings, you should be able to hold a steady 250, and get a 20-30 hour burn out of a full load of lump. Overall it is suprisingly simply to do.[p]Butts usually take in the 2 hour/pound range. Once your internal temp in the meat is 180, you can kick your dome temp up near 300 to finish it if you are late.[p]Have a blast
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dooms-Dave
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    When you say get a core fire going after stirring up and removing ash and getting it red hot, do you
    1. Fill with new lump up to the top after stirring or just
    light the stuff from the last cook?
    2. Let it get burning to a particular dome temperature
    (with the lid closed or open?) or just till a few
    areas are glowing?, and
    3. Is the fire ring the top ceramic ring that holds up
    the grate, so that you are recommending filling it
    above what I would call the fire box down below?
    4. And lastly, is the butt cooked indirect or direct?[p]Thanks from another new guy.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Dooms Dave, "You asked"
    V[p]When you say get a core fire going after stirring up and removing ash and getting it red hot, do you
    1. Fill with new lump up to the top after stirring or just
    light the stuff from the last cook?
    (answer) I stir my old cold residual charcoal up in the firechamber making sure that I have a clean open grate. I place a burning starte in the center, and place my larger residual chunks of charcoal in a teepee tent style over the burning starter. Being careful not to kill the flame. Stack till you have a hard time seeing the burning cube. Close dome and allow the "core" to get red hot..you need to get a good startup.[p]
    2. Let it get burning to a particular dome temperature
    (with the lid closed or open?) or just till a few
    areas are glowing?, and
    (answer) Temperatures are not important at this time![p]3. Is the fire ring the top ceramic ring that holds up
    the grate, so that you are recommending filling it
    above what I would call the fire box down below?[p](Answer) Correct...for a long low and slow I have filled clear up to the grill level itself..Not needed for a normal 20 hour cook tho..I just did it to see if it could be done.[p]4. And lastly, is the butt cooked indirect or direct?
    (Answer) I cook all my meats indirect..A butt is normally done over a drip pan. I add firebricks under the drip pan itself. I also like to keep all my meats at least 4 inches over the drip pans to allow full all around even heat and smoke.[p]Thanks from another new guy. [p]Your most welcome and welcome to the forum..Good luck.
    Char-Woody[p][p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Dooms Dave,
    Re: keeping the egg going while smoking a butt[p]In addition to my post to you..After you have the "small red hot" core started..then add a small amount of larger chunks around that core to cover it..add your smoking woods to that layer..then heap the rest to as high as you like, halfway up the firering for a big butt or brisket long term cook. The red hot start core will assure a continued burn as it progresses slowly upward thru the tiered charcoal.
    Again..welcome to the forum and its participants..
    C~W
    BTW...limit your smoking woods, damp or dry and as you progress with your individual cooks you will find where you have your best smoke flavor..The real smoking time is your first hour of the cook. Minimal affects after that as your meats have started to seal.[p]