Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tempurature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife got me an Egg for Christmas an dI am loving it. I have a question about tempurature. The temp on the thermometer stuch through the hole at the top of the egg is 50-75 degrees higher than the temp of an electronic meat thermometer laid on top of the meat I am cooking. Is this typical, or is one of my thermometers incorrect? Which is the temp to use when trying to to maintian a given tempurature for slow cooking? Clearly I need to experiment with this, but I would appreciate some expert input.

Comments

• Smoker Rick
    Options
    The tempurature on the egg thermometer is the "dome temp". This is what you go by for recipes that call for a certain temp. If you are using a digital themometer where you put a probe in the meat and the display is outside of the cooker, it will not show a proper reading unless it is put into the meat. There are instrustions in the egg manual on how to calibrate your dome thermometer to read properly if you believe that it is incorect.
  • what is the best way to lower / raise / neuturalize cooking temps.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    50-75 degrees is a bit high for the Dome to Grate difference. It should be around 30 degrees.

Check the calibration of the two thermometers.

As Smoker Rick said unless otherwise noted temps around here are dome temps.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Best way to lower temps is shutting the bottom vent down. It also takes patience as the ceramic ill retain heat for some time.

It is best to creep up on the temp you want.