Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bass/Crappie

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend, I will be at Lake of the Ozarks (Missouri) for some fine bass fishing. (60 boat tournament) Where I am staying, I will have the opportunity to take my Small along. Several of my brothers who know the egg have already reserved cooking times on it.[p]I have never grilled fish. When we filet the bass (and any crappie or walleye that happen to end up in the boat as dinner) we cut the filets into 2-3 inch peices for deep frying. Any suggestions for filet sizes/coating/breading and methods for cooking on the Small? Should I take any fire bricks along?[p]Carl T

Comments

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Carl T,
    I would try scaling and scoring crappie or a bass that weighs a pound or so. Use salt, pepper and lemon juice. Make a pan out of foil, not wrapped but to keep butter from dripping on your lump. Lift out when done and start over with next batch.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Carl T,[p]I have done walleye, pike, and halibut all in the same method.[p]You will need a cast iron skillet and butter.[p]Cut the fillets in 2" strips.
    Dip in egg and milk batter.
    Drop in a mxture of (crushed)Ritz Crackers and a little flour.[p]Do these one at a time for best results.[p]Put in pan and cook 2 minutes a side.[p]You won't believe how good these will taste.
    Really simple.[p]Make sure the crackers are ground fine.[p]Yummy, yummy.[p]Mick.[p]P.S. I'll bein Virginia this weekend doing the same thing.[p]Tight lines.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Carl T, I have been wanting to do some walleye on the BGE and I started thawing out some water bagged today just for this trial run this evening..lets see how it goes. If it works..then we both win. I am thinking seasoning with Lawreys Lemon Pepper and peanut oil at the moment..things change.
    C~W[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Char-Woody, I have done some trout that a friend gave me with lemon-pepper and olive oil. They really turned out well although I did find that the time difference between great fish and crispy critters (really dry) is not that great. Don't leave them too long.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Wise One, good ideas..what temp do you run? My guess around 300F internal.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Char-Woody, my dome thermometer was registering around 325. I actually think that was a little hot. I kinda like things where I have a little latitude in my times and at 325 there was not much time between done and overdone on fish. I had not thought too much about it but I may try even cutting it to 275 next time. They were good including the one that stuck and that I totally destroyed getting out (Somebody had to eat the evidence :-) )

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Wise One, Well, I baked Walleye for a first time..Went with both Paul Prodhomes sea food seasoning and Lawreys Lemon pepper..I had to excellent fillets off a 5 lb walleye, and did each seasoned separately.. I used a fire brick barrier and ran about 400F degrees or under. I used my jerkey basket over the firebricks..no drip pan. I layed out the filets on buttery Pam coated parchment paper in the wire basket. Next time I will skip the parchment paper as indirect over the fire brick seemed to be better.. I took out the parchment halfway thru the cook. The fillets were very moist and I could have cooke them longer than the 20 to 25 minutes that I did them. I tested them with my spatula and when they would flake, I took them out..! Next time who knows..I may try a different method and use Jethro's salmon method. BTW.. the Prodhomme seasoning IMHO was better..more like cajun.
    Cheers to ya...C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Wise One, Well, I baked Walleye for a first time..Went with both Paul Prodhomes sea food seasoning and Lawreys Lemon pepper..I had to excellent fillets off a 5 lb walleye, and did each seasoned separately.. I used a fire brick barrier and ran about 400F degrees or under. I used my jerkey basket over the firebricks..no drip pan. I layed out the filets on buttery Pam coated parchment paper in the wire basket. Next time I will skip the parchment paper as indirect over the fire brick seemed to be better.. I took out the parchment halfway thru the cook. The fillets were very moist and I could have cooke them longer than the 20 to 25 minutes that I did them. I tested them with my spatula and when they would flake, I took them out..! Next time who knows..I may try a different method and use Jethro's salmon method. BTW.. the Prodhomme seasoning IMHO was better..more like cajun.
    Cheers to ya...C~W[p]