Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage Question

Options
ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try and make some sausages. I picked up a book at the library with recipes and found a few on the internet.[p]Can I do a dried sausage as a fresh saussage? If I leave out the cure and ascorbic acid but cook the sausage immediately is this ok? I will cook it up to the temperature you would cook the meat to for doneness under normal cooking conditions (pork, beef, etc) and refrigerate the leftovers. [p]Will this work? Do you see any impending problems with this logic?

Comments

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    If you mean take a dried sausage recipe, leave out the cure, and cook it right away, then the answer is yes, you can do that.
    You CANNOT leave a sausage at room temp without adding something to prevent spoilage.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    c9b39a95.jpg
    <p />Arvadaman,[p]Sure, I make an awful lot of fresh sausage, and like you said the fresh stuff does not need the curing agents or other things that would retain moisture (like dried milk) You can also cut back on the amount of liquid if you are adapting a recipe intended for smoking to one for fresh sausage. I usually grind and mix the seasonings one day and stuff it the next day to let the seasonings mature and the liquid soak in. You can grill or hot smoke the fresh stuff and it will come out just great. It is however, quite possible that you will like the texture of sausage that has some cure mixed it, even for grilling or hot smoking.[p]When you smoke sausage, like a kielbasa for several hours a lower temperatures, the curing agents help to not only take care of any potential baddies, but they also change the texture and can also add some flavor and color. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    mikey,[p]Yes, I will cook them to doneness and NOT leave at room temperature.[p]I would like to try making some of the sausages that are normaly dried but I would like to make them as fresh, cook them to doneness, and refrigerate afterwards.
  • BridgeMan
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I bought this book recently. Haven't tried it but it got great reviews:
    Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (Hardcover)

[ul][li]http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298/sr=8-1/qid=1169301641/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6655130-9992769?ie=UTF8&s=books[/ul]