Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted to sell my XL but...I think I'm getting an additional one..maybe a small? recommendations ple

Likefre
Likefre Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was comtemplating the possibility of selling my XL BGE because I thought it was just bigger than what we needed but after discussing it with my significant other, we have decided to KEEP IT!
Now, here's what my significant other doesn't know..yet..
I am exploring the possibility of aquiring another egg, smaller of course for a family of 4 (2 adults+2 small children, well 1 because the smallest one still prefeers corn flakes instead of ribs or pork..I know that eventually he'll come around. The smaller one would be mainly for whole chickens, 3 or 4 ny or ribeye steaks, 6 pork chops, etc..possibly 2 or 3 racks of bbribs
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Likefre,[p] Get a small..
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Likefre,
    I think you like talking to yourself. You had an XL Egg for sale. But 2 threads down, you was looking for a table for an XL. Make your simple mind up is my suggestion.[p]Mike

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Likefre,[p]I think a small is a good choice. We also have two adults and two small kids. The small works well for small cooks and the larger egg comes in handy when you have quests, large itens to cook, such as a turkey, etc. etc..[p]They work well together.
  • Likefre,
    medium... definitely a medium.[p]i have a medium and i plan to bring home an xl from an eggfest.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    520e68e6.jpg
    <p />Likefre,[p]The small is a great cooker & I use mine often. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the cooking space. Cook wise, you are close on everything you mentioned except for the 2 or 3 racks of ribs.[p]There is now a plate setter for the small or Chubby's GrateMates would make a good addition too. As a minimum you need the option to raise the cooking grate a few inches.[p]~thirdeye~[p]5eb44e65.jpg[p]bbbf92c9.jpg[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Likefre
    thirdeye,
    Thanks..these helps!

• Likefre
    Car Wash Mike,
    You are right, First I wanted a table...a nice table, then I saw the large on the "grilling station" and I fell in love with the setup plus the fact that the XL is kinda big for our family. But after thinking it over and talking with my significant other, we decided to keep it..The main goal still the same, to have a smaller option for those small dinners..I thought the Large was versatile enough for both purposes but since I already have the XL...
    Now, like I said, if I get a smaller one for small cooks it would save lump, time to heat = money.
    So, yes, I changed my mind on the approach but not on the ultimate result.
    Still looking for a nice table though..;)

• Likefre
    Not to mention that I am cooking 6 days a week on the XL, sometimes for 3 sometimes for 8...That's what I meant about saing time, saving lump = saving money

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Likefre,[p]The small is my work horse. My day to day grilling machine. Also 4 to 5 hour slows. [p]My large is for weekends, having people over, 4 butts for a pulled pork fest for a bunch of friends.[p]Yeah, go for a small, and enjoy! My guess is you won't understand how you lived without it.[p]DD
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Arvadaman,
    I often take on quests on my BGE

• DobieDad,Nice to meet you today. Thanks for coming by the store. Hope you found Burhop's

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Metalhead,[p] Quest are much more fun on the XL. More room for Quest things..
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Likefre,
    I have and XL, Large and a small. there are 3 of us. I have used my large mostly but in the last 3 months as i have gotten over cooking the biggest piece of meat i can find, i am using the small 80% of the time. Get the small it should be fine for what you need.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Likefre,
    Dollar for dollar I think you are better off with two large than one XL. One for steak, 450-500, one for fish, 325-350.
    Mark

• Likefre
    ugavet,
    How about the medium?
    is there a huge difference between the small and medium?
    I can see the specs but as far as measurements there's no huge diference...
    Medium 15' 26' 18' 95'
    Small 13' 22' 16' 65' [p]BTW thanks everybody for your suggestions, today is the day, convinced my significant other last night...

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Likefre,
    Wise choice, you won't regret it. This may be the only time I suggest buing a medium. However, just another hundred or so gets you a large so I may suggest that too.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Likefre,
    the medium would be a good choice as well. the only thing i would say is that if you ever have a need to transport for things such as camping or tailgating then the small would be much easier to transport.