Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coal?????

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I would just like to ask the difference between lump carcoal and briquettes????? I realize that one will burn hotter then the other but there is also a difference in taste. I am liking the flavor of lump but at times miss the carcoal briquett flavor that I am use to.[p]Love my BGE and have just "ORDERED"A???????? Minneeeeee,

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    New Bob (but getting old),
    Lump is pure wood. Briquettes are made of wood dust and bonding agents. Others will get more technical for you.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    New Bob (but getting old),[p]I believe you are the first to express missing the briquet flavoring. My hat is tipped to a long time charcoal cooker.[p]Lump charcoal is raw hardwood converted to charcoal by high heat in the absence of oxygen. The result is almost (but not quite) pure carbon. The slight amount of impurities in the lump charcoal adds the flavor that is particular to the wood used to make the lump charcoal. It burns hot and clean, leaving little ash.[p]Briquets are made from charcoal dust. This dust is combined with "fillers" used to help stick the particles together to form the common briquet shape. Since this resulting mass is now not so willing to burn (fillers don't burn), a pyrotechnic coating is added to the surface (typically boron) to help with getting this mix burning. Since boron (any pyrotechnic coating), adds a seriously strong taste to the smoke a coating of lime is added to the surface of the briquet. As the pyrotechnic material is burnt up, the lime becomes more visible. This is why all briquet instructions suggest that you do not cook over them until they "white" over. Briquets produce 3-5+ times the ash (unburnables) as compared to lump charcoal.[p]Lump charcoal starts quickly with only a small fire. Briquets need a fuel added to the briquet to even maintain a heat source long and hot enough for it to even start to do it's intended purpose.[p]Welcome to cleaner cooking.[p]Spin
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Spin,
    WOW! Between you, Mike O and others, I am getting a real college education right here on the web. My son's would be proud. And I can EAT the homework. Thaks spin, that was the best explanation I have ever heard.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MAC, I agree, Old Man Spin leveled the field with that one.
    Phutuiii on briquetts.
    :-)
    C~W

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Spin,
    Thanks, I always appreciate being informed. Hope you don't mind the question's.
    New Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    New Bob,[p]Keep the questions coming. When you come up with one that we can't answer, then we all learn together.[p]Spin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Spin,
    I will do my best, it's nice to have such a knowledgeable goup of fine people sharing their wisdom with the rest of us newbies.
    New Bob