Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless chicken breasts temp. to pull??

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Simple boneless yardbird breasts tonight, what temp should I pull them so there are still juicy and cooked enough? I am the king of dried chicken and am trying my best to improve.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    orion11,[p]I don't cook boneless but I generally pull at close to 160 in the middle of the bone-in breast and let rest a bit. They've never come out dry unless I happened to pick the biggest one to check and the littler ones get overdone.
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    Haggis,
    Good deal, I have my very best Thermaworks thermometer now so I can at least be assured of the temp I am checking, love that thing!!

• Steve13
    Steve13 Posts: 12
    Options
    orion11,
    Lately I've been getting a good sear on them for about 5-6 min a side at 350-375. Then wrap in foil,close all vents and let them sit 15-20 min ( TREX Chix ?) they come out moist and tender.Now I'm no longer the King of dried chicken

• Irish Smoker
    Options
    orion11,
    I think the biggest problem with really lean cuts like chicken breasts or pork chops is that people cook them at too low of a temp.[p]I have been cooking breasts and chops at 500-550 with great success. I typically pull them when the internal is 160, and the outside is nicely charred. They are always very flavorful, with juices running the moment you cut into them.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Haggis,[p]And they make great gifts to cooks you care about!