Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm in big trouble..

Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't own an egg yet and I can't stop reading this message board. My wife has given me the news that she plans on buying me a BGE for my birthday. She gave me a choice...a new light for the pool table or a BGE. Easy choice. I have been wanting one of these for about 4 years, I'll shoot pool in the dark. [p]I plan on getting the large egg. Living in Atlanta..I am planning on making a trip to the 'mothership" to buy the egg and am assuming that I will get as good of deal there as anywhere. What I can't decide is whether I want to purchase a nest or build a table. My brother has one with just the nest, but I think I would like to have the work area provided by the table. He likes the ability to move his egg around, but I assume that a table with wheels can move just as easily. [p]I am kind of nervous about this purchase...my wife likes the ability to walk out onto the deck, push the starter button on the Weber and start cooking. I have never been the cook in the family, but this looks like fun. I look at this like I look at my photography hobby , there is alot to learn. I just hope I a capable. Anyway I look forward to the learning curve and help from all of you eggsperts.[p]

Comments

• David
    David Posts: 97
    DSC_5724.JPG
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]As a new BGE owner I put my vote in for a table. You can make it as nice or as simple as you want. Mine is all construction lumber 2x4's and 1x4's and took me literally 2 hours to build. To me the nest looks unstable, and the table is nice and solid. Plus the working space (and storage space underneath) is invaluable.
  • if you choose a nest, let me know and I will sell you one at a discount. I got one with mine (didn't have a choice, came as a package) and I built a table to house her. [p]If you want it, $50. Just email me...griffindawg@hotmail.com
  • Dang,[p]This board is entirely too nice, that was my very first post and I have already been offered a good deal on a nest by a Dawg,(I am assuming a UGA Dawg). Thanks Griffin, I will have to go by the Egg Store and check out what they have to offer, I am leaning towards building a table, but I appreciate the offer. [p]THWG :)[p]GriffinGaDawg,

• PICT1899-1.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,
    I love my Egg in it's table. While the net will provide some work space if you have the wings there is nothing like the work space a table will provide. In addition to the normal table size you can increase the working area by adding folding shelves so that the BGE cover will fit. If you look close at the sides of both my tables there is the folding shelf that snaps up. As for not being the main cook do not worry that will all change once you get the hang of it which will happen on your first cook. Good Luck and let us know what you decide to cook first.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader,[p]WOW, those are some beautiful tables...if you don't mind, how much $$ did you put into one of those? I don't want to spend a bunch on the table and I am not the best carpenter in the world, but those are really nice.
  • Smoking Jacket, if you can swing the extra jack for a table, go for it. You might want to visit the lumber yard and run some numbers. [p]Now for the nerves.....just remember how nervous you were when you first ask your wife for a date. Now look how much fan you're having.......

• dang, I type for crap....how much fun you're having....

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Smoking Jacket,
    If you lived closer you could have my nest. I have never used it, built a table for the egg the day I brought it home. In fact if anyone around New Hampshire needs a Large Egg nest then its yours. Come get it.

• Smoking Jacket, if you get a nest, always pull your egg, never push it. If a wheel hits a rock while pushing it there is not much that you can do if it goes to flip.
  • Smoking Jacket,
    Both tables ran around $250 each for the materials.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Smoking Jacket,
    Build the table. You will appreciate having some room next to the egg for loading and unloading ribs, boston butts, briskets, burgers, pizza, bread, abts, and on and on.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Retired RailRoader,
    Did you build those yourself? if so, great job.

• LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    David,
    Storage is never a problem if you have a gas grill. I now use my Ducane for storage for the different tools. :)[p]Storage is necessary. I am building an island with storage for charcoal, lighter(gas), brushes, placesetter, grill extenders, etc.,etc.,etc., I will have a large and small nest for sale soon!

• Smoking Jacket,[p]Depending on where you live in Atlanta, You might want to check out some of the Ace Hardware stores. I picked up my first large egg at the one on Roswell Rd about 3 miles inside the north 285 loop. They had them marked down on sale and included a free nest at the time. [p]I think some of the dealers might have more latitude to negotate on price than the manufacturer can. Most manufactures that sell direct tend to be carefull not to undercut thier distribution chain.[p]The second large I got at the mothership during the October Eggfest (an even better deal!!)
  • Avocados,[p]Thanks, I live in Roswell and I know that the Ace on Holcomb Bridge @ Peachtree Corners carries the BGE. I will have to check their prices. I would guess that I could compare their prices to what BGE sells theirs for on-line. [p]I appreciate the eggvice[p]Now excuse me while I slip into my Smoking Jacket
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Smoking Jacket,[p]nothing to add - just wanted to let you know that I love your user name!! lol
  • Smoking Jacket,
    I built mine before I got the Egg last August. I hadn't built anything in awhile (like maybe since my 8th grade shop class)so I probably spent 2 weeks working on it. Maybe it was one week with two weekends. I planned carefully, Constantly referred to TNW's photo Essay on building his table, still made mistakes, but it came out ok in the end and the cost was around $200. [p]The thing is, I actually had a lot of fun building it and began looking forward to my next project!.
    BGE8.jpg
    Since then I modified the non-wheel end to include casters because I move it a lot and it's very heavy. I'm now planning on adding a drop leaf on that same end to increase my work area and also give me room to place a Mini (which I may get in the spring).[p]The wood I used is Mahogany (decking and 2x4's) and it's sealed with something like Thompson's Water Sealer.
    I have my raised grid hanging below the tabletop and, when the weather gets warm, I'm adding a hanger for the platesetter below the Egg . I have to do this work outdoors, so I'm waiting for spring for all my table upgrade work. I'll be adding some hooks for tools too.[p]If you're going to build a table, don't rush it, give yourself time. If you get the Egg first, you'll have to disassemble it to install in the table, so you might want to do like I did and build the table first.[p]Definitely check out TNW's great site for photos of tables and his great photo essay of the construction of his table. It reminded me of more that a couple things I would've overlooked.

[ul][li]BGE Table - the National Geographic Special[/ul]
  • 123510133-M.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]I'm in the same boat...new to the BGE. I ordered mine and it's supposed to be here in a couple days. [p]I couldnt see the sense of paying the $300 asking price for the table at BBQ's Galore. SO, i downloaded the plans from this site and built one.[p]I spent about $150 on some cedar, deck screws, oil finish, and a bottle of Gorilla glue at Lowes. Add in another $20 for a set of caster wheels from the local Harbor Freight store...and here she is...(i ended up giving it a good sanding and ran the router around the top to round over the edges after i took this pic)
  • One more thing-
    I forgot to mention, you can always buy a table if you're not up for building one.
    or if you want to build one, you can find the plans here:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/table-plan.htm

[ul][li]scroll down to the bottom[/ul]
  • I like the nest, because I keep my BGE in my garage. When I cook, I simply wheel it out on my paved driveway, sit out the lawn chairs, and have my favorite beverage. I have a hoosier just inside my garage where I keep my spices, booze, rubs, booze, utensils, booze, wood chips and more booze. The garage also keep my BGE out of the weather.
  • Smoking Jacket,[p]BGE does not sell online.
  • Doris,[p]I guess I need to click all the links on the BGE web page...I had noticed earlier the link "Thinking of Ordering Your BGE Online" and assumed that you could order online. When I saw your post I clicked the link and was told to "think again". Boy this "egging" is going to be harder than I thought.[p]Now excuse me while I slip on my Smoking Jacket.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Great choice! Get the large BGE, eat great food and worry about the light for the pool table later! [p]I have both...I have a large in the nest with two side tables...And I have a large in the table and on wheels...I do most of prep work indoors and I find the Egg with the nest and two side tables works just fine...My large with the table has nice work space but I just don't use it all that much...And when I did use it...well...let's put it this way....it's not an attractive site anymore.....And there's steps I could have taken to prevent that and didn't...And I'm likely going to put that large in a nest and sometime soon...My back porch isn't all that big and the large in the table takes up an awful lot of useful space...[p]The large in the nest with the side table works out well....save your money.....and use it for the new pool light...The Egg AND the pool light![p]Best of luck....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    eggman1.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]Here is egg elegance, based on 5 years experience. Notice the top of the wall and the steps, as well as the two reconfigurable benches for working surfaces and utensil storage. These surfaces are also convertible as seats for egg-tenders and kibitzers, not to mention their function as drink-holders. The lidded blue pot for ashes; the handy disposable trash bag. The final contemporary egging touch is the work lamp on its 40' extension cord, suitable for 24 hour egg tending. Notice the satisfied egger. ;-)[p]- Ed