Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump charcoal in a metal grill?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I only have a large BGE and don't anticipate buying a small or mini for tailgating until next year. This saturday the Tennessee Titans host the Buffalo Bills. I'm wondering if lump can be used in a small weber or does it get too hot? I know regular charcoal will work, but I like the taste of food with lump.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Irish Smoker, JMHO, go with what your familiar with to the game, and experiment at home till you get the feel of the refined charcoal use in the metal. I see no reason why you cannot..but don't want to ruin your party..:-)
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Irish Smoker,
    Go for it. I gave my Dad a bag of lump and some firestarters for Christmas for him to use in his Weber kettle. Works much better than briquettes.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Irish Smoker,
    A word of caution from one who tried and failed. I took some of my lump to our beach house in November to use on the rusting hulk in place of the regular charcoal briquettes. I never got it going - I even added fluid. I gave up after 20-30 min and went with the briquettes. Seems it won't replace the briquettes because the lump needs a good oxygen flow and it burns unevenly - which is ok in the belly of the Egg but not when spread over a large flat pan as in a metal BBQ grill. Use the briquettes and save the lump for the Egg.[p]If anyone figures out how to use the lump successfully, let me know.
    Tim

• Tim M,
    I've been using only lump since I started using a BGE. I use an electric starter to get it going, but it works well in my "smokey joe" weber and full size weber "master-pro" I think its called! Not a hint of problem! It does take a little longer to get a good 'burn' going, but at least I don't have to have 2 or 3 different types of charcoal. IMHO, it will do as good or better than 'Kingsford'![p]My $.02 worth,Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Maybe, as Dr. Chicken has mentioned, the kettle type grills work the best with lump. Where you can regulate the airflow like the egg. [p]You have a point about a large flat pan, where the air flows from all directions, and not necessarily over the fire.[p]Maybe it would work in one of those flat cheapies if you lit the firecubes in several locations.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Irish Smoker,[p]I've done this successfully. A charcoal chimney makes it much easier to get the lump going, if you have one. If not, you can improvise one out of a coffee can.[p]Cathy
  • Irish Smoker,[p]Don't you deep fry chicken wings rather than BBQ. Nothing better than rooting for the Bills and eating hot wings. Hmm.. maybe you could use the Weber to heat the oil.

• phradeus,[p]There will be no rooting for the Bills in my crowd![p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    I am not saying it won't work in a regular BBQ grill - it might but I wanted to let the original poster know it won't be easy and it won't act like regular briquettes either.
    It would not be good to use it the first time when its really important to cook a great meal or the chips are all on the table.[p]Tim

• Irish Smoker,[p]Tennessee Titans don't you mean the Houston Oilers.[p]
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Irish Smoker,[p]I used to use lump in my water smoker and I never had problems with it. I'd recommend lump over briquettes for any charcoal burning cooker.