Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small pieces of lump

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this question has been discussed on this forum a few times but I need some more details. What does everyone do with the small pieces of lump from the bottom of the bag? I must have 20 pounds of small pieces lying around in my garage. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, tom

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I throw it out. I don't know what else to do.
    My favorite lump, Grove Hardwood, has a lot of small pieces and dust in the bag, sometimes I think I throw out 1/8 or more of the bags weight.[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BajaTom,
    i just dump the lump from the bag into the egg, dust and all. never have any small pieces of fresh lump. now small pieces of spent lump is different, i use it for jerkey and direct rib cooks where there is only a few inches of lump in the bottom of the egg. that fresh stuff would work just fine for that as long as you keep it a few inches thick only so as not to clog things up. i cook alot of times with lump piled up to the firebox holes or less. raised direct slow cooked thighs work well with minimal lump, you can get an easy 8 plus hours for a low and slow rib cook with the lump piled as i described, someday im going to try a brisket flat cooked this way direct. i light with a weed burner for these cooks as it gives a nice even spread of lit lump down deep in the bottom of the egg, not sure how other methods would work for lighting such a small amount where the fire cant burn down.
    for what its worth, sorting lump the first few cooks just gives an egger an idea of what to look for when building a fire, after you understand what to look for, dumping and stirring as you add lump seems to work fine, just my opinion

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    BajaTom,I use them for hot clean out burns. don't use them all but most get used this way.

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Is Grove the one from Wisconsin? If so, wanted to try it, but could not figure out how to ship it here at a good price.