Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner time

Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to try the versatility of the egg tonight.
About to throw some chicken breast quarters on, along with some baked potatoes. I'm figuring 350 about an hour or so on the chicken; maybe a tad longer on the spuds. But my wife told me to pick up some tasso at the grocery yesterday. Little did she know, I had some pork in the freezer waiting to become tasso. So, I plan on doing the chicken, then bringing the temp down, add some wood and let the pork catch the smoke while I watch the NCAA game.
Will advise on outcome.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    s_cook13.jpg
    <p />Shelby,[p]The potatoes will take longer than you think. I don't do them direct because they absorb to much smokey taste/smell so I smear them with butter and wrap in foil and toss them on the grill at 250-275 and roll them around for 2-3 hrs depending on the temp. It's hard to over cook one but real easy to under cook them in foil. Pictured are sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter.[p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M,
    Stick a metal skewer thrugh the tater before you wrap it in foil. Speeds up the cook as the metal skewer tansfers heat to the center of the tater.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    JJ,[p]Yea, that would work. Nice tip.[p]Tim
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    JJ,I have read that soldiers during the Civil War often carried nails which were used to skewer potatoes and cook them rapidly.

• JJ
    Sippi,
    That is correct. Now they sell tater nails. They charge a bunch for them but metal shsishkabob skewers work just as good and a lot chaper.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Tim M,
    Well, not my original plan, but didn't pay close attention to the temp on the egg with the spuds only and temp crept to 600 for 30 mins. One side was charred a bit, but by the time the chicken was done at 300 degrees, the potatoes were perfect.
    Pulled the chicken, added some Tobasco barrel wood chips and threw on the pork to make tasso. By end of the game, the pork was cooked, just not as smokey as I'd like. But plenty flavorful...more than acceptable.
    Next up...thick porterhouse!

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Shelby,
    Tobasco barrel wood chips!!!!!
    Where Oh Where can I get some!?! That sounds great.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    RhumAndJerk,
    here is one of the places I have sen them at...can`t vouch for em..never ordered or used them..but the got em...[p]Wess

[ul][li]tabasco[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB,
    more typo`s in there than there are spices......oh well..you get the point..LOL[p]Wess

• JJ
    WessB,
    Take them mittens off. It's spring now. hehe

• WessB
    JJ,
    LOL...it would have appeared I was typin with mittens...and you`re right about spring..it was wonderful here today..and we are looking forward to a splash down on Fri..let the boatin begin..and only 24 days till Eggfest..to quote.."Life is Good"[p]Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    WessB,
    Thanks.
    I will order some after I see if KennyG wants to split shipping.
    RhumAndJerk