Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built 1st egg today, what did I forget?

Options
Shoe
Shoe Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Assembled my first egg today, a large. Read many, many, many posts in the archives first. Watched the video twice. Followed the directions carefully. Bent the hell out of the bolts and the flanges. Tested seal of closed egg with dollar bill (close egg on bill, pull bill out, verify resistance felt all the way around the dome). Resistance wasn't completely equal all the way around, but it wasn't bad, and the bill certainly didn't rattle around loosely. Calibrated thermometer in boiling water (adjusted for altitude), put in place with half a cork standoff. Stored spring hinge restraining straps for possible future use. Moved egg from nice warm house to 8 deg. F. deck (welcome to Michigan), where it now sits on its feet on a foamed concrete ember pad sold for use with fire pits, rain cap on top, firebox aligned, fire ring cut-outs up (what are those, anyway?), eggcessories stored inside, cover on, waiting for use.[p]So... what did I forget?

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Shoe,[p]Something to cook?
  • Shoe
    Options
    Yeah, almost mentioned that, but it was after 11 pm local when I was done, and since I get up at 5 to go to work, I decided having a beer and posting the question was more appropriate!

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Shoe,
    Lump?[p]And of course... a suitable method of lighting said lump. Which, at my house is a 500,000 BTU propane weed burner/torch. The ONLY way to fly..... ;>)[p]Get a jiggle stick, make that 2. One needs a 90° angle, and the other should be straight. My preferred tools were made with a pair of stiff converted clothes hangars. They work nice to help clean out the ash grate holes if they plug, or shall I say when they plug.[p]Mike in MN[p]Mike in MN

• Shoe
    Options
    Thanks, Mike. I had read about the jiggle stick, I will remember to make one.[p]Your comment reminds me of something. When I installed the coal grate I noticed that the holes in it are conical, not cylindrical. I installed the grate with the larger end of the cone facing down, reasoning that less junk would get caught in the grate that way. Is that correct?

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Shoe,
    You are probably correct. I can't recall on mine how the holes are formed. But, I do know the ash has a tendency to plug the holes, coagulate, if you will. It isn't a serious problem, but it can affect your project. I probably use my 90° jiggle stick every cook. Run it in the bottom door and find a couple holes and make sure they are clear from the bottom up.[p]Once and a while when you are trying to get Mr. Egg up to temp, he will stall and just sit there. That is your signal to get out the jiggle stick. Once you open up a few holes, you should be able to observe the temp climb almost immediately.[p]Mike in MN

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Shoe,[p]Sounds like you have it all figured out!
    I am wondering though - what is the rain cap you are referring to? Is it one of those metal chimney cap thingies?[p]I think we all expect pictures soon!! :)

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p] It's the Ceramic Hat.

• Shoe
    Options
    Usefull tip, thanks!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Shoe,
    sounds like you may have forgotten how to relax![p]kidding. welcome aboard. now that you got that out of the way, it'll be easy cruising from here on out.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Shoe,
    fill out the registration warranty card and send it in, then drink a beer and decide what your going to cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Shoe,
    MEAT meat MEAT meat MEAT meat MEAT meat MEAT