Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks BBQfan1 for the smoked olives!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I spite of my broken band problems I had my other egg smoking olives for the last two hours. I used a wire mesh splatter guard too allow full smoke coverage, used a mere pie pan so to be indirect, selected pecan for the smoke and then put on a jar of unpitted queens and for the heck of it a half a jar of colossals stuffed with jalenpeos. BBQfan1 was right when he said as first taste "Gee, that's different, not really sure if I like it or not" but after scarfing down a dozen nonstop I knew I liked them!
Now that I know better I was working too hard trying to find pitted ones or even thinking about pitting them myself. With the pits still in that may remove these from the fancy hors d'oeuvres list, but as a guy thing these are gooood!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RRP,[p]Being a person known to sit down at the olive jar with a spoon - this interests me. I have some interest. How long, what temps?[p] tim
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Tim M, I pretty much followed BBQfan1's post from 17 March and shot for 185° to 225° for the full two hours. I shuffled them every half hour and so smoke would be real evident I put on four more hand fulls of soaked pecan chips after the first hour. Their appearance is altered and I'm not sure I'd do the stuffed ones again as they came pretty ugly to be honest...but then BBQfan1 never said to used stuffed one's either - guess I was eggperimentin!
    There had been some other discussion about stuffing pitted queens after the process, but I'm not sure they would stand up to the handling and stuffing process as they are now soft.
    Again, they are different and perhaps not for everyone due to spitting out the seeds, but taken on a campout/fishing trip I betcha they will be in high demand and gone shortly!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Tim M, Yeah , they are definitely 'different' to start with, but soon become addictive. I in no way lay claim to inventing a new recipe; picked this one us on the new Canadian bbq forum from a fella named Reg. All I did was alter the recipe to suit the Egg. They are pretty tasty. Give it a shot! 2-3 hrs, 180-210 indirect, shuffle every 1/2 hr or so, nice shot of smoke, your preference.
    Qfan

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Tim M,[p] One more thing that might help you. Was in Wal*Mart yesterday and saw a "smoker basket" from Brinkman. Round mesh basket about 1.5" deep that'll fit in a large BGE. Should be just the ticket for this application.[p]MikeO