Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Mini?

Options
Right.Brainer
Right.Brainer Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It seems that I have some x-mas money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about adding another egg to my set-up. Ive had my large egg for three years and have read some comments from forum members about smaller egg, quick cooks, less charcoal etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Right.Brainer,
    I have both. The small without a doubt. I use it just as much as my larges anymore.
    It is a steak searing machine.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    100_0047.jpg
    <p />Right.Brainer,
    i went with the small for all the reasons you just stated. but when you get a mobile egg you want to be able to cook for four people. the mini might be a little small for 4 steaks. when i say that i know 4 steaks will fit on a mini but i think the disruption in air flow or lack of airflow might make it harder on maintaining a high temp.
    IMHO
    HTH
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Right.Brainer,
    the large and the small is the perfect combo IMHO - Though I have 4 sizes of eggs I use my small nearly 60% of the time.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Right.Brainer,
    i have a small and a mini. i love the mini and if you want somthing to "take to the lake" go with the mini. if you want to add to a cooking machine to you backyard get the small. i have all of the sizes and use the small most of the time. of course i am only feeding the wife and i so not much use for the xl but it is cool. its like yard art.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Small1.jpg
    <p />Right.Brainer,
    Unless your looking for something to travel with I would go with the small. I think it's the perfect companion for the large.

• ranger ray
    Options
    Right.Brainer,
    i'd go with a small.... i had a mini and sold it..

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    Right.Brainer, I have had a large for some time I added a Small, Best thing I ever did. I am glad I went with the small. Have fun and good cooking

• Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    I had a large and a mini. I was always a little cramped with the mini. I sold the Mini and got a small. I am very happy with it.
    I have found that every size egg has a max person/portion limit.
    Mini = 1-2
    Small = 3-4
    Med = 5+
    large = 7+
    XL = ?[p]Go with the small.It has most of the benifits of the larger eggs is a faster start and go and easy to move around.