Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Style Ribs lo 'n slo

DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finished-1.jpg[p]Korean style beef short ribs are normally grilled, but I put these on indirect at 250°F (grid) for 2.5 hours until the 'wiggle test' proved they were done and finished them with a glaze at 425°F for about 20 minutes.[p]Granted, they are not authentic, but the ribs came out tender and moist with that distinctive Korean flavoring of sesame, garlic and green onion with just a bit of heat. The addition of honey to the glaze brought all the flavors together.[p]4 pounds of beef short ribs that were cut 1/2 to 3/4" thick were marinated overnight.[p]The Marinade[p]1/2 cup soy
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon dark (Asian) sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp toasted, crushed sesame seeds[p]Here are the ribs after they finished marinating[p]marinated.jpg[p]and after slow cooking with Jack Daniels wood chips[p]Lonslo.jpg[p]The Glaze[p]Strain the marinade and reduce to 1/3 the original volume. Add [p]2 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 - 2 Tbsp honey (to taste)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
a few drops of dark sesame oil[p]Warm and stir to dissolve the honey and mix ingredients. No need to cook this mixture. Baste the ribs and return them to the Egg at 425°F, still setup for indirect cooking. Baste and turn frequently until the glaze has thickened a little, about 20 minutes for this cook.[p]White rice, kim chee and cold beer compliment these very well.

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    DobieDad,
    Man those look good. I will definitely give these a go. Thanks for the post.
    Cheers. Bob

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DobieDad,[p]Those ribs look delicious. I just added this to my to-do list.[p]I wanted your ideas on this...It is my understanding that when reusing a marinade that contained raw meat you must bring it to boil for at least 3 minutes, Does the reduction satisfy this or do you keep it at a simmer so as not to dull any of those delicate flavors?[p]I generally just double the marinade and set aside a portion of the freshly made marinade for using as a sauce.[p]~thirdeye~ [p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    thirdeye,[p]Reducing to 1/3 volume would take forever at a simmer, so I would call the process I use a 'gentle boil' for an extended period (probably >20 minutes). We live below 1,000' elevation, so my 'gentle boil' is near 212°.[p]You saw that I did refresh the flavors that I wanted to highlight. The reduction is rich and complex, but as you say, may suffer in delicacy. I might double and split a marinade I intended to use as the basis a sauce rather than a glaze.[p]DD
  • thirdeye
    DobieDad,[p]OK, that long of a reduction would certainly take care of any issues with re-using a marinade...I picked up on the flavor bump when I reread it after saving it, nice touch as always. Can't wait to try it.[p]Out of curiosity, have you tried marinating pork tenderloins or leaner strips of boneless beef with this?[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DobieDad
    thirdeye,[p]Yes, or something fairly similar, when I lived in Hawaii mid 1970's. I was copying things I had eaten in a Korean place near campus (cheap beer, cheap food, cheap grad student . . . ).[p]But I'd marinade with a lot more crushed red pepper and various hot sauces to try to get the same heat into the meat as they served at the bar. Then I'd cook it hot 'n fast on a hibachi out back. [p]The honey/chile glaze came in during that time too, cooking beef short ribs on a gasser (meat was expensive in HI, but these were still relatively inexpensive then). I was playing with flavors, and sort of blending Korean and teriyaki. [p]BTW, I have NEVER before cooked short ribs over a fire that came out as tender as these, for which I credit the Egg (braised, yes, but that is in a closed vessel). Always in Hawaii, and thereafter on gassers and over charcoal, the jaw muscle got a work out, but the flavor was worth it. [p]Cheers,[p]DD
  • thirdeye
    DobieDad,[p]For your recipe file, here is a dipping sauce I use on my Chinese barbecued & glazed pork tenderloins.[p]Plum Dipping Sauce with Sesame Seeds:
    1 12 ounce jar of plum preserves
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
    1 teaspoon finely chopped dried red chili pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    sesame seeds[p]Combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce, EXCEPT sesame seeds, in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate in a covered container overnight to blend flavors. Prior to serving, toast sesame seeds. [p]Let pork cool and cut into thin slices. Dip the sliced pork into the plum dipping sauce, then into the sesame seeds. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DobieDad
    thirdeye,[p]Looks good to me![p]Thanks!![p]DD
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    DobieDad,
    Those look fantastic. I love Gal bee. Saved third eye's dipping sauce too. I've done them indirect at higher temps and I think your low & slow is a great idea. Store kim chee or do you do your own? I had a bumper crop of daikons this last summer and still have the pot fermenting in the garage.
    DTM

• DobieDad
    DTM,[p]Oh, store bought kim chee.[p]There are heaps of varieties here is the Chicago area.[p]Thanks for the kind words.[p]DD