Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Extender As A Platesetter???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p] I was told a while back that if you hang the BGE grid extender upside down and cover it with tin foil, it could act as a platesetter. I was thinking that it probably wouldn't work as well, but might get the job done. Wondering what all of you out there think about this idea? Thanks in advance![p]Fudge

Comments

• Fudge Mountain,[p]I'm sure this would work fairly well, but my Eggy-sense tells me that a thick ceramic barrier provided by the plate setter would provide a more even and steady heat than a lil' piece of foil. It's the heat retention and distribution of the ceramic that makes the Egg superior to metal cookers - why sell yourself short?[p]-Big Green Egghead
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Fudge Mountain,
    I would work just fine for an indirect setup. As mentioned a platesetter is going to add mass and the good things that go with that.

• Big Green Egghead,[p]Thanks for the reply. I actually have a plateseeter, but it will not fit with the 2 tiered rack I have set up for this weekend's cook. I was hoping to get away with using this other setup to solve my space problems.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    That will work for a little while but then the foil will melt. Use a pizza stone, pizza pan or something similar as a deflector. You can wrap the deflector in foil.[p]Toy Man
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Fudge Mountain,
    I have two BGE grid extenders and neither will hang upside down because they are hinged and will flop open. Is there another version of it that isn't hinged? -RP

• Fudge Mountain,[p]The older grid extenders were not hinged like they are today. It is easy to fix your hinged extender so it is solid and then put it under your grid like you will see in the picture. While foil won't work very well to make it an indirect cook, a drip pan can go on this lower grid and does work great and in my opinion, better than a plate setter. [p]18MVC-009E.jpg[p]This is two turkey breasts I have prepped in the kitchen and am now ready to take it out and drop it into my large Egg when it gets on temp. I think you can see the drip pan in the picture. [p]Dave

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Fudge Mountain,
    ive never used a platesetter, ive used just a steel paella pan for years, sometimes putting it on a pizza stone or fire bricks, but the pan alone works fine for bbq or roasts. i can see the platesetter mass helping the egg stabile at the higher temps say over 450 degrees, but dont really see its worth for lower temp cooks as the egg stabilizes fine at lower temps. dont know how the tin foil would hold up but would think it would be fine at say 250 degrees.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Toy Man, ya ever wonder what happens to the foil after it melts. I can never find it... that mystery is right up there with the Roswell UFOs and who shot JFK.....[p]Inquiring mind, well kinda
    Tom