Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Smoked New York Strips

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There are always posts about hot searing steaks and the different methods associated with doing that, not many people do slow smoked steaks so I thought I'd post what I did this weekend. I had some strips marinating in olive oil and salt and pepper for about 2 days that I had planned to cook on the egg this weekend anyway and I fugured I would slow smoke them rather than cook them hot.[p]I had just finished cooking a butt on the egg and it was percolating nicely at about 260. The butt came off and I put the steaks on, indirect. The strips were 1 1/2 inch thick and they took about an hour to come up to about 120. When they were at 120 I removed the indirect stuff and put them back on the grate for about 4 monutes a side to get a quick crust on them.[p]I still like quick seared steaks but for a steak with a LOT of smokey flavor, these are just the ticket. Maybe something to try if you are looking for a little variation on how to cook steaks.[p]Troy

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    sprinter,
    Did you leave those uncovered? I have been doing that lately with really great results. I had a slow smoked sirloin steak along time ago. It was pretty good for restaurant.[p]Mike

• sprinter
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Uncovered? Egg was closed, steaks on the grate, just like smoking a butt or brisket. Sorry if I dont understand the question. They were very enjoyable and I definitely plan on doing it again, just some variation in the way the steaks get cooked is nice.[p]Troy
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    sprinter,[p]The last great restaurant steak I had that was not an aged piece of Prime beef was a smoked London Broil.[p]I'll have to try that at home sometime.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    sprinter,
    If you stop and think about that,when you go to a bull roast how good is that 40lb hunk of meat that is over the coals all day?Worth dying for.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    sprinter,
    Uncovered in the fridge in the EVOO/salt and pepper. Dry aging kind of.[p]Mike

• sprinter
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Ah, got it.[p]Nope, they were sealed up in a plastic bag. I do that to almost all the steaks I cook, I think it tenderized them a bit and lets the salt and pepper flavor go deeper into the steak. Lots of discussion on this topic several years ago on this board, got quite interesting. I like the method so I stick with it.[p]I have dry aged some steaks with great results also. I have a spare fridge in the basement that gets used for that. Typically about 8-10 days on a 1 3/4 inch steak, changing the towel they are on for the first couple days then I just let them sit on the drying rack I put them on. Lets the air get all around them.[p]Troy