Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza

Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
closeup.jpg
<p />man those things are hard to roll out round....this is my first pizza....almost lost all the hair on right side of body while making it

Comments

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's my next project!

• Metalhead
    damsel, This is actually the 2nd time but the first one about a month ago I burnt to the stone....so needless to say I chunked it...I used pre made dough from Publix and was not really impressed w/the crust....I just found out that to make a round crust you have to start w/a round ball of dough....who knew? not I[p] I will try again w/wompum dough and real pepperoni next time. That was turkey pepperoni....not grreasy enough

• Metalhead
    Fire in the Hole,
    thanks man.....it was fun to make....drank one too many beers though....head feels heavy this morning

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Metalhead,
    Looks great, your mouth won't know it wasn't round. Use whole milk mozzarela for the grease effect. -RP

• Metalhead
    AZRP,
    good idea and Top of the morning to you!!!!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Metalhead, yours at least has some shape to it. My first was Amoeba-shaped. Since then I have learned to roll out my dough
    on a shett of Reynolds non-stick foil on top of a 12-inch pan. I rotate the pan as I move the dough around with my heel of my palm and it actually gets round. Try it. It works.

• Metalhead,[p]Since practice makes perfect, I recommend repeating the entire process again today. This time drink 1/2 a beer less. Do this each day, adjusting until you get the right pizza/beer ratio. The problem could have been you just didn't eat enough pizza.[p]Never give up! YOU CAN DO IT!![p]:)[p][p]
  • Metalhead,
    Just finished eating my first pizza. WOW! Nice round and crispy thick crust. I just stuck with the basic cheese pizza for the first attempt. Crust got burnt a little, but luckily the burnt taste didn't overtake the taste of the pizza. next time I'll add some goodies and not burn the crust. Sorry no pictures, the suspense was killing us. Took me all morning to prepare(with 4 kids under 5) so we devoured it as soon as it hit the table and it was a hit! The kids loved it and they even made me wear a chef's hat that my daughter got for christmas in her toy cooking set.[p]can't wait till next time[p]Taz

• Metalhead
    Wise One,
    my 2nd last night did look like an amoeba....i'll try your way next time

• Metalhead
    Tazmaniancowboy,
    did you make your own dough? I was not especially found of the crust....

• Metalhead,
    Good job! You can avoid the whitish/flour appearence on the crust margins by brushing oilive oil around the crust before you load the pie. A little charring is good, but a burnt crust soulds like your set up may be the problem. See the posts on this subject.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    101_0359.jpg
    <p />Metalhead,
    if you are not using your "feet" use them to elevate your stone off your platesetter. use this and you will save your gasket also there is room for air to circulate under pizza stone
    HTH
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    BENTE,[p]It looks like your gasket suffered a little before you reached that solution . . . LOL!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Haggis,
    yea a little tooo late i got another but have not put it on yet. next gasket will proabably last longer
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Metalhead,
    I did make the crust, I didn't think it was bad, however like I said originally, I burnt it a little. I'll try again next time.[p]Taz

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Wise One,
    great trick that i found to roll out dough is to put some olive oil on the counter then oil a roll pin then all ya do is roll out your dough its easy and always perfect.but the way all i do too cook mine is directly on the plate setter and i have yet to torch my gasket and when i make pizza i normally make 6 to eight in a row for a party!! actually having one this wednesday.......2 bruchettas,2 chicken ceasar,2 all meat and 1 bbq chicken,and 1 vegie!!
    its always a great hit!!
    mike