Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6-8 hour cook for a boston butt

Options
truhokie
truhokie Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could someone post the temps and times for a quicker boston butt cook? Many thanks.

Comments

• Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    Options
    truhokie,[p]I had this in a file from months ago. I hope that this can help what you are looking for.[p]I'm cooking 4 7 or 8 pound Boston butts the 8 hour way. I've got the dome temp at a little over 300 and internal temp of 120 after 4 hours. I will lower the temp to 250 once they hit 145 internal. Let them go through the plateau and then crank the temp back up to 300 plus for the last two hours. I will foil at 190 or 200 for about 1 1/2 hours and then pull. [p]

• The Virginian
    Options
    truhokie, I think you want to foil earlier than that. Most people pull the butts off the fire when they reach 190-205. If you foil at 190 and keep them on the smoker, you will have mush for meat by the time you pull them off an hour and a half later. [p]Brett
  • Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I got the impression that you foiled the butts and let them rest, not returning them to the grill.