Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bring on the monsoon season!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am NOT laying claim to this idea, but merely sharing it with newbies as I remember someone referenced it months ago. Once an egg is fired up rain doesn't cause much problem, especially if using a daisey, but in a hard driving rain (or a dump as I call it) getting your fire started can be more difficult. Solution: a 6" galvanized sheet metal rain cap can be purchased for 7 bucks at Menard's or similiar stores.
That will easily sit over the top hole and protect from in rain. I just bought one myself...so come on monsoon, you're not gonna bother me this year! PS of course that sucker is gonna be HOT , so take precaution when removing!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    RRP,hey, thanks for the tips there bud.......[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RRP, That was mine..mine..I did that..They do come in various sizes so take your outside measurent of the dome, and find a vent cap to fit over the metal cap you use.
    To adjust for slop..cut slots in the bottom edge, bend inward, slip a finish nail in the bend and bend back out again making a adjustable spring tension against the dome or metal cap. Only need three or 4..your choice.
    Now please..don't anyone lay claim to this, I am happy someone else has tried it..it works. I might make one out of copper sheeting to add putza to my BGE..
    :-)
    Cheers..and tnx..
    Char-Woody

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Char-Woody, Glad you came forward to accept the reward for a good ideer!!!
    I had tucked it in the back of my mind of "things to do before Spring" and today I got it.
    I am thinkin about modifying it by replacing the bottom band with a narrower strip of metal so that I could place it over Miss Daisey and still be able to work the slider as the one I purchased completely hides the daisey. That modification was just entered onto my "things to do on a rainy day" list!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RRP, its rare I get a chance to be blessed. :-) Well, that one happened much like the firebrick story..happened to see em and it clicked..that will fit me BGE..and took one home..Wiffy say, what fo you buy that fo..?? I say..fix roof and then snuck around and stuck it on my BGE. Caution tho..they get dang hot. Use a plier or grill lifter to remove em. I can set my top daisy ahead of the rain cap, and no problem. A combo slider daisy won't work inside the cap, and here you may have to use a thin firebrick across rain cap band and use the lower vent to control your heat. For very low and slow, improvise a inside metal or aluminum foll gate.
    Congrats on picking up on it...It's worked well for me many times and beats the inverted coffee can.
    C~W