Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help for a buddy of mine -- PP direct on a L-BGE

Rich GRich G Posts: 103
edited 2:47PM in EggHead Forum
Ok, all, I need some of that BGE forum help. I have a friend who came to me a few months back and asked for a recommendation for a new grill. I suggested that ceramic would be the way to go due to its versatility, and that there were a few manufacturers to choose from. He chose the BGE and got hisself a Large. So far, he has been very happy with the grilling he has been doing.[p]He called me today to ask for some advice on his first try at pulled pork. He has a recipe that talked about cooking a 5-7lb butt for 6 hours (the last 2-3 foiled) at 225 degrees. In my experience, I'm thinking that's not going to work out too well, though in the 100's of pounds of PP I have done, I've never foiled except to hold it at the end of the cook. The 2hrs/lb rule of thumb at 240 degrees and cook 'er til she's done (195-200 internal) has always worked for me.[p]Here's where I need your help. I suggested to him that he shoot for a 5lb butt, and expect that the cook will take about 10 hours or so. He does not, however, have a plate setter, or other type of heat deflector, so he is planning to use a roasting pan with the butt on a v-rack in the pan. Is this going to work? I have never done a butt without a true heat deflector, and I doubt that the roasting pan will deflect much heat, so this really is a direct cook. Any thoughts or suggestions from all of you experienced folks that I can pass along to help my buddy be as successful with his first low/slow as possible? I'd like for him to be encouraged rather than frustrated....[p]Thanks all, in advance!![p]Rich
·

Comments

• Rich G,
    Before I got a plate setter, I tried PP using a 9X12 baking pan with a v-rack. It worked fine for the 5# boneless boston butt. Just be sure to keep some water in the pan.[p]I cook my PP at 225-250 until the internal temp reaches 199 and then I wrap it in foil TIGHT and then double wrap again and again with a dish towel, then again in foil, then place in a small cooler for a max 6 hours. Doing this, I can keep a finished butt up to about 6 hours and the temp never goes below 160.[p]As for total cooking time, there is no magic number. It all depends on the temp of the egg and the amount of fat in the roast. I have had 5#ers go 13+ hours and 9#ers go 6.5 hours. I would plan on worst case having a 5# go about 10-12 hours. If it finishes early, you can wrap it like above.[p]Best of luck. Maybe others will have a different opinion or suggestion; this is just what I have found and what works for me.[p]Banker John

·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rich G,
    A roasting pan with foil in it to catch the drippings will work for a indirect cook.The pan will act as a heat deflector.

·
  • Toy ManToy Man Posts: 416
    Don't recall doing it this way but I think the pan would work well as a head deflector.[p]Toy Man
    ·
  • Rich G,[p]
    It will work. Don't foil it until 195. I agree with Banker John's post!

·
  • Rich GRich G Posts: 103
    All:[p]Thanks for the responses. I pointed my bud to this post, so he got some good info. I got an email this am telling me the butt was on.[p]Appreciate the input![p]R

·