Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help for a buddy of mine -- PP direct on a L-BGE

Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, all, I need some of that BGE forum help. I have a friend who came to me a few months back and asked for a recommendation for a new grill. I suggested that ceramic would be the way to go due to its versatility, and that there were a few manufacturers to choose from. He chose the BGE and got hisself a Large. So far, he has been very happy with the grilling he has been doing.[p]He called me today to ask for some advice on his first try at pulled pork. He has a recipe that talked about cooking a 5-7lb butt for 6 hours (the last 2-3 foiled) at 225 degrees. In my experience, I'm thinking that's not going to work out too well, though in the 100's of pounds of PP I have done, I've never foiled except to hold it at the end of the cook. The 2hrs/lb rule of thumb at 240 degrees and cook 'er til she's done (195-200 internal) has always worked for me.[p]Here's where I need your help. I suggested to him that he shoot for a 5lb butt, and expect that the cook will take about 10 hours or so. He does not, however, have a plate setter, or other type of heat deflector, so he is planning to use a roasting pan with the butt on a v-rack in the pan. Is this going to work? I have never done a butt without a true heat deflector, and I doubt that the roasting pan will deflect much heat, so this really is a direct cook. Any thoughts or suggestions from all of you experienced folks that I can pass along to help my buddy be as successful with his first low/slow as possible? I'd like for him to be encouraged rather than frustrated....[p]Thanks all, in advance!![p]Rich

Comments

• Rich G,
    Before I got a plate setter, I tried PP using a 9X12 baking pan with a v-rack. It worked fine for the 5# boneless boston butt. Just be sure to keep some water in the pan.[p]I cook my PP at 225-250 until the internal temp reaches 199 and then I wrap it in foil TIGHT and then double wrap again and again with a dish towel, then again in foil, then place in a small cooler for a max 6 hours. Doing this, I can keep a finished butt up to about 6 hours and the temp never goes below 160.[p]As for total cooking time, there is no magic number. It all depends on the temp of the egg and the amount of fat in the roast. I have had 5#ers go 13+ hours and 9#ers go 6.5 hours. I would plan on worst case having a 5# go about 10-12 hours. If it finishes early, you can wrap it like above.[p]Best of luck. Maybe others will have a different opinion or suggestion; this is just what I have found and what works for me.[p]Banker John

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rich G,
    A roasting pan with foil in it to catch the drippings will work for a indirect cook.The pan will act as a heat deflector.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Don't recall doing it this way but I think the pan would work well as a head deflector.[p]Toy Man
  • Rich G,[p]
    It will work. Don't foil it until 195. I agree with Banker John's post!

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    All:[p]Thanks for the responses. I pointed my bud to this post, so he got some good info. I got an email this am telling me the butt was on.[p]Appreciate the input![p]R