Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the BGE has landed, need help finding bricks

SmokeyBear
SmokeyBear Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the word that my BGE w/table was ready for pickup this morning; so, I happily drove to the store to pick it up.[p]When I ordered it, they only had one plate setter in the store (they sold 43 BGEs in December), and it was chipped. They told me they had some on order; so, I figured to get one when I picked up the BGE. The problem is that all of them were bought as soon as they came into the shop. They have ordered a plate setter, a pizza stone, and a rack extender to hold for me.[p]My wife went to the grocery store to get some sausage for me to make fatties, and she went by Lowe's to pick up some fire bricks for me to use as a barrier for indirect heat, only Lowes didn't have any.[p]Any suggestions as to where I might find some fire bricks? Does Home Depot carry them? I can use the bricks for my grill once the stuff for me BGE arrives.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    SmokeyBear,
    Look in the yellow pages for a concrete product supplier. I bought mine at a company that makes pavers all types on concrete products. They had the firebricks in their showroom. FYI better product and cheaper than the big box home stores when I bought pavers for my patio.[p]

• dhuffjr,[p]Thanks. I was hoping to find something on Sunday, but it looks like it'll be later in the week by that route. If I can't find something on Sunday or Monday, I'll just wait for the plate setter.[p]Right now, I have a Jimmy Dean regular sausage covered in Dizzy Dust sitting on a rack over the bottom of a roasting pan filled with water. It isn't ideal, but it's all I could come up with tonight.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    SmokeyBear,
    That would work fine. If you've got a grill extender putting it no that with just a foil pie pan under it would work too.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    SmokeyBear,
    I saw a box of firebrick splits (what you want) at Ace Hardware yesterday. They were expensive--about $20 for a box of six, but they were there.

• If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they have the split ones for about $2 each. Popsicle
  • uncbbq wrote:
    SmokeyBear,
    I saw a box of firebrick splits (what you want) at Ace Hardware yesterday. They were expensive--about $20 for a box of six, but they were there.

Oddly enough, I bought my BGE at an ACE hardware, but I didn't think of the fire bricks until I was home. I'm not sure if they are open on Sundays.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    SmokeyBear,
    Guess what?You just created a indirect cook with the roasting pan and rack.

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    SmokeyBear,If you have a Tractor Supply Store in your area check with them.

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    SmokeyBear,[p]I got some firebricks at a shop that specializes in wood stoves and gas fireplace inserts. They pulled them right out of a floor model wood stove for me. $6 for five of em![p]On a side note, my platesetter was chipped when I picked it up. They knocked off 25% of the cost and the chip makes no difference to the functionality of the unit.
    It just doesn't look perfect. [p]Cheers,[p]John