Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt fat cap up or down?

Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always cooked BB's with the fat cap down thinking that rendering fat was one of the goals. Last night I read in the FAQ section of another forum that many turn the fat cap up with self basting as in cooking brisket being the goal. The author apparently thought that self basting added a great deal of flavor. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Sippi,
    Most bb's I get don't have a specific outer fat cap or rind, unless I get full shoulder or picnic cut, but that is neither here nor there: in answer to your question I think it can be added to our 'rules of thumb' file that fat cap always goes on top for reasons you read about on other site.
    BBQfan1
    Let's go Deeeevils!

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    BBQfan1, see you in a couple of hours dude.
    I got your big ole chunk of applewood in the van ready to go..[p]I hope your hungry....lol..
    Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sippi, IMO, the full top boston section is so fulla fats that you could cook it sideways with no difference to the cook. But like the others..habit says if I have a fat cap, I lay it topside. Rain and snow here..miserable day to make loinbacks, spares, chicken wings and jerky..and a whole turkey...! I think I will have chicky soup and call it a day. :-)
    C~W[p]

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Mop,[p] Maybe you could bring along a small strip of jerky, so I could try it.[p]Earl
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Earl, I have a few pieces left, they are in the van...lol[p]Mop!

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Char-Woody, Here in southcentral Wi. it's 53degrees and sunny. Don't be blowin that stuff our way. Going to get some spring raking done today and do a sirloin tip over noodle dish tonite for supper. Made my chicken soup last week. Cross your fingers, spring has got to find you shortly I hope.
    Painter[p]

• Sippi
    Char-Woody,
    Sorry that the weather has fouled up your cooking plans. Seems that the weather here follows patterns in the early spring. If rain starts on the weekend it almost invariably rains every weekend for several weeks. Supposed to be in the 80's by mid week, though.

• Sippi,
    I tend to do the Butts with the fat cap down. I have found that the meat on the bottom gets pretty greasy, so i put the cap down since it won't be eaten anyway.

• Sippi
    Irish Smoker,In what part of Tennessee is Franklin loated?[p][p][p]