Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE - Have I gone nuts?

RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I have an ADDICTION. What do I do???[p]Got my BGE as an early XMAS present @ TKsgiving as my old metal kettle fell apart. Now I've cooked 2 Turkeys, 2 Brisket, 4 Pork Butt, 3 Chicken, 1 Standing Rib Roast, a Pork Loin, plus some other stuff - Every one of them was fantastic!!! [p]Not sure your responses may not help - I'm cooking a 9lb Boston Butt tonight and am sure I'll be checking the fire in my PJs tomorrow AM. I about lost a finger to Eggztatic party-goers on New Yrs Day as I pulled the 12 lbs of pork. I got about half a serving in the end. Guess I have to have smaller parties! [p]Has anybody else gone this nuts?

Comments

• JerryD,[p]I got my Egg for Christmas and I've been obsessed too! I have not used my oven once since I was blessed with the BGE. I've done whole birds, ribs, pizzas, strombolis, and last night I did some Jucy Lucys.[p]Now all I keep asking myself is: "How did I survive without my Egg?!"[p]Keep on Eggin'[p]-Big Green Egghead
  • BK
    BK Posts: 19
    JerryD,
    Pretty close for sure. I know the sad feeling of seeign your friends and family enjoy your cooking, only find scraps left for yourself.

• JerryD,
    nope... not at all... i've always been nuts![p]what is your egg's name? do you buy her presents? does she have an entire building dedicated to her and her supplies? do you daydream about what to cook next? does the UPS man constantly deliver products to put in or on your egg? have you run out of counter and cabinet space in your kitchen to store all the various rubs and marinades and such?[p]nope... all perfectly normal responses to the most incredible cooking appliance on the planet!

[ul][li]nuts? it's all relative.[/ul]
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    JerryD,[p]It is a disease all of us BGE users experience.
    Soon, your neighbors will begin showing up on
    your door step asking if you will "cook this
    for me?" [p]You will also begin to be invited to parties as
    long as you bring that amazing (fill in the blank:
    ribs, chicken, pastrami, pulled pork, etc, etc.)[p]So, be kind to yourself. Try and keep your disease
    low key so as not to infect everyone anound you
    at once. Enjoy the ride.[p]

• Big Green Egghead,
    i to just got a lg egg for christmas and i'm obsassed..yesterday i went back to the BGE store and order another lg egg and a table to match the one i just got for chrismas..thats just what my wife told me last night. YOU HAVE GONE NUTS!! maybe we got to start a BGE,anonymous meeting...i think i may need to join one..

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Well...JerryD.....You've taken the big gulp of the Magic Kool-Aid....and you're one of us....Once you get going...you pretty much can't stop....Next thing you know you'll have a second and maybe even a third egg somewhere down the line.....And before you know it you'll be loading up and going to an EggFest.....You're in deep.....[p]And if you significant other ever gives you a hard time about the new obsession...please feel free to use any of these lines..."It's better than gambling"...."Keeps me out of the strip clubs"...."I don't hear you complaining when your mouth is full"...."Keeps me close to home and I'm not chasing chics...."[p]Enjoy....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• JerryD,
    I too rcvd my Lg BGE when my metal Weber had be decommisioned for two weeks and my wife wanted some BBQ. Now that She has had BGE-Q she would never wait that length of time(2 wks) AGAIN! I have just turned 40 so I consider mEGGan my Mid-Life-Crisis! I tell my wife it doesn't cost near as my much as my neighbor's 62 Corvette. Nor does my little "tryst" cost the family a father. mEggan is a "Hot Babe" sometimes even a "Fiery Little Be-Otch" but like it was qouted before "No one complains when their mouths are FULL! LOL[p]Let's ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    JerryD,[p]Actually, it get worse. Soon, food that you would have thought better than anything you had ever made will just seem... good. And you'll start wondering how to avoid that little bit of dryness, or how make the spice bark a little thicker. Or if everything is coming out well, how can you cram a little more on? Or, umm, "I've never cooked a whole Yak thigh, I wonder which rub I should use..."[p]gdenby
  • Denio
    Denio Posts: 8
    gdenby,
    Yes it is a disease and it is a FATAL one.. But, when the time comes to go horizontal you will have a smile on your face.. until then keep smiling and cooking...

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    JerryD,[p] Nope I am not nuts.. Yes you are.. no I am not.. Yes you are.. Am not.. Am too.. Hush dammit they are supposed to know you exist... Well your meds are over there..
  • Linecut,[p]Another Egg already? You've got me beat - although, I have been contemplating a personal Egg website and trying to figure out who I can buy one for as a gift.[p]Eggaholics Anonymous may be in order soon[p]-Big Green Egghead
  • LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Big Green Egghead,
    I figured out who to buy one for yesterday. I have been reading mini versus small, travel size etc. for several months. I talked to my mom yesterday as she was getting ready to grill on a gas grill that is with the house she rented in Key Cudjoe. She said she doesn't enjoy cooking on it. She is going to the Kitchen Store in Key West today to see if they will RENT a BGE. I think this year for her birthday, I will get her a small. I had mentioned last year that I wanted a mini and she bought me a small for Christmas. She looked at the mini and said I needed something larger. (I have a large for my primary.) I may have to install a hitch cargo carrier on her SUV as well for next winter's trip!

• That is definitely my first post!!