Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

smoked pheasant

Can I smoke a pheasant in the Big Green Egg. I'm told that the lowest temp than I could sustain for any period is between 225 and 240 degrees, which I suspect is too high for smoking.

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    g kelly,
    you are talking about cold smoking.[p]some have done it here, but it's hard to do. ice, automatic fans, etc.[p]easiest way would be to use the egg as a firebox, attach dryer hose to it and vent that into a cardboard box allowing the smoke to cool on the way. really gotta cool it for true cold-smoking.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 517
    I’ve tried pheasant several times and it is veeeery hard to keep the bird from drying out. The best luck I had was to cook it indirect at 225 bacon wrapped. Tasted great and was very moist throughout. Have to really watch the drumsticks or they cook to fast. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • g kelly,
    There was a pretty nice setup posted a few months back using the egg as the firebox and routing a dryer vent down to a styrofoam cooler. I tried to search archives but didn't come across the picture. I think this type of setup is your best bet for less than 200.

• g kelly,
    I was able to slow cook some ribs for 6-7 hours at 150 degrees as one of my first BGE cooks! It is very possible and the smoke cooked them through! I think a pheasent would be about the same![p]Let's All RAISE the BAR - B - Q!