Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trivetalization

Options
tember
tember Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased one of those funky new lodge trivets to go in the bottom of my large egg. Last night for the first time I was able to sear four filets at over 700 degrees and maintain that temp after I opened the dome to flip em. If you have not bought one of these do so... you will not regret the $7.00 spent to make the egg one step more efficient. [p]
eggon[p]t

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    tember, I just opened my wallet and found $7 starting to warm up (ready to burn a hole inmy pocket). Where do I get one of these 8th wonders of the world?

• tember, I too went the Lodge route 8 months ago for my large and then three months ago just purchased a cast iron fllor drain from True Value hdwe store for my small. Only way to go! Save the S & H and get a drain - it's better made and cheaper to boot! They come in increments of one half inch. Try one and you'll never go back to the clunky ceramic one!
  • tember
    tember Posts: 13
    Options
    Wise One,
    I bought mine at gray and holt on the internet. www.grayandholt.com and had to put the word trivet in the search menu.. Comes up as a trivet dutch oven. [p]egg on

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    one feral kat, By chance would you have the part no# for the True Value floor drain for the small as the one I went to couldn,t find anything in there catalog. I told them they carried them but they said they sometimes have different distribution centers for there stock depending on location. Hope you can help.
    Thanks Painter
    The plastic ones they handle wouldn't last very long. Hehe
    and leave an aftertaste.

• Painter, be glad to! I am heading over that way for lunch in just a short short and will holler back afterward!

• Painter
    Options
    one feral kat, Thanks Kat

• Painter, you won't have to thank me afterall...bummer...I went there as promised, found the various sizes but there were no SKU #, just hand written price tags. I found the owner and asked and he said those are not True Value stock items, rather he stocks them from a local plumbing supply house. On the way back I stopped by an ACE and they only carry some plastic ones.
    Maybe you can find them locally...sorry I couldn't help after all. Maybe somebody else can chime in here about other retailers. We have a Menards and a Lowes, but I couldn't get to them over lunch hour to see.

• Painter
    Options
    one feral kat, Thanks for checking. I just got back from Farm & Fleet store and they couldn't help me either, as they all carry the plastic. They did carry the lodge cast iron products, but no trivets, just pans, griddles etc. I'll keep checking around and post if I find any thing. Good weekend to ya Painter
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Painter, if you guys want the alternatives..then try a cheap scrap of diamond mesh about 9 or 10 inches square..No snips..no problem..just cut slots in the corners and bend em up wards till you can sit it in the chamber. No muss no fuss, and who cares what it looks like down there. A two dollar piece or even free, depending on your weld shop guy will last you indefinitely..Get a spare hunk if you want to. I use it in both my small and large have about 3 year use in the large one and 2 years on the small. Not wear out yet.
    Cheerio..
    C~W [p]

• Painter
    Options
    Char-Woody, Will probably do exactly that. I knew about the mesh (turbo grate) but did't think the alternatives would be that hard to find without paying double because of shipping. Painter
    Bake some bread today along with chick soup,it makes a great popouri for the house on a cold miserable day

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Painter, just in case you or some other reader would still prefer to buy a ready made metal grill instead of making one I found them at Menards. The SKU# is 685-3785 for the 6" metal floor drain and it sells for $7.99 It's a good alternative to the 5.5" ceramic in your small.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Painter
    Options
    RRP, Just was there and filled my order for my large and small. Forum works great for me.
    T Painterhanks .[p]