Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best pizza I have ever made

Options
fyrcat
fyrcat Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi to all, I am a new egger,my husband bought an xtra-large for me for xmas. I am an avid baker,and one of my first projects was a pizza.I was sooo egg-cited after reading all the posts in this forum. I have posted my no knead bread recipe, and I use half whole wheat and half white. I grow my own tomatoes which I freeze. I pop out a bag of those,put in a head or two of garlic chopped up,boil it until thick. Place it thinly on the dough,some whole milk mozzeralla, and top with spicy italian sausage.I use parchment paper,easy to slide on the stone,easy to take off. I use a fibrament stone, heat up the egg to 750 using a lazer thermometer I checked the stone heat(at least 450 deg.) 7 minutes after I placed the pizza on....it was ready. The crust was better than I have ever gotten with my wolf oven. It was simply perfect!!!!!

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    fyrcat,
    Welcome to the forum, I am fairly new as well and love to make bread. I didn't see your no knead bread recipe. Where may one find it? I make a no knead sourdough bread. Below is a sourdough boule I just made the other day and baked in the egg.[p]IMG_0423.jpg[p]I make a lot of breads using half white whole wheat and regular white wheat. Hope to hear more from you, Enjoy, AZ

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    fyrcat,
    sounds good but you have to take pictures of stuff like that so you can really make us drool
    101_0023-1.jpg
    like this
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fyrcat,[p]Congrats on your Egg - I just got one for xmas too, and I've already made pizza 3 times and stromboli once. I can't believe how well it works, and how great the food tastes. The pizzas I've made in my oven don't even come close, and I imagine I'll never bake a pizza in the oven again![p]Keep on Eggin',[p]Big Green Egghead
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]Are you saying that you used your New York Times "kneadless bread" recipe for pizza?? If so, great idea! How do you roll it out? That stuff is pretty sticky.[p]Another idea -- add some chopped rosemary to the dough. And maybe some finely chopped garlic, lightly sauteed. [Raw garlic in dough is pretty intense.][p]

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I grind up fennel seeds and rosemary and add it to the dough. Getting it from the board to the egg is easy with the super peel. I don't sell em, just use em.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    fyrcat,
    Welcome, there is a lot of info here on the forum that is shared among family. After 5 years on this forum, this is the first mention of a lasar thermometer that I know about. Help!! Sounds great more details please.

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    ronbeaux, getting the pizza from the peel to the stone is easy without a super peel. Put corn meal on the peel, work the dough and assemble the pie on the peel, run a piece of dental floss under the pie to unstick any stuck spots, and slide the pie onto the stone.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]Welcome! This looks like a good one to try![p]For those who didn't pick it up, here's the link to her kneadless bread dough in the New Recipe Submissions section of the forum.
    [ul][li]kneadless pizza dough[/ul]
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    They are moderately cheap $60 to $90 - probably even less.[p]I 'shoot' mine down the exhaust onto the pizza stone - instant reading. When not cooking pizza I will sometimes place a piece of metal on the grid to read the temp from.[p]But I think mine (older model) only goes to about 450 - 500 as I recall.[p]Toy Man

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Haggis,
    but the kneading vents my fustrations.
    sounds good. will give a try on a good day :-)

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    bbqbeth,[p]Or you could use the obvious alternative to kneadless dough: a bread machine. Doesn't help vent the frustrations but what the hey!
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Haggis,
    when i bought my egg and did spin's pizza, i didn't have a bread machine. i have one now (or did), but prefer to vent.
    TGIF!!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />fyrcat,
    Welcome to the gang! Tell me about freezing tomatos, I get tons of them all at once and would like to enjoy them more than a few weeks out of the year. I'm with you all the way with the whole milk mozzarella and the parchment paper. -RP

• fyrcat
    fyrcat Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi again, I will take pics the next time I make my pizza. My no knead bread recipe did come from the New York times. It is posted on the recipes section-it works for all white,half white half whole wheat,and all whole wheat.I also use it with my sourdough. It really is great when it is gooey,I just plop some of it on my parchment paper, and using wet hands, smooth it out so it is thicker at the edges.With the parchment paper no need for cornmeal. I forgot to say in last post, I also use fresh basil in my pizza!!!! I purchased my lazer thermometer brand new on Ebay. It was around $50.00 made by Raytek modek F-MT6..will register up to almost 1000 degrees.The seller I bought it from still has 20 available,the item number on Ebay is 300069678603 if interested. As far as freezing tomatoes, I take a bunch of them and blanch them to remove skins. Then I place in large holed strainer stirring and pressing to drain out seeds and some of juice(Making a more concentrated product). Then place in sandwich zip locks,then using my vacuum bags,vacuum a bunch of them and freeze. In these winter months,I bring summer to my meals.