Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lotsa Babys-??Time, Temp, Setup?

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got about 10-11 lbs. of babybacks going tomorrow(Friday) for dinner. Removed the membrane, done a nice mustard and chipotle-based rub, and am now wondering about times and temps after reviewing all my resources: JSlot's technique calls for a pizza stone for a semi/indirect cook at 375, and plenty of other recipes call for lower at 250 or below. I've got a plate setter, thinking I would invert it and place a double grid stack of the ribs above a drip pan, all above the plate setter. Or, should I just go direct, and give myself the excuse to be out on the patio the whole time, and smoke the better part of a cigar, while I'm out there? Again, love to hear your input on times and temps. Like to eat by 7:00 p.m., so timing is everything! p.s. I heard my twin brother was posting again, last night, as that Lang dude...I've got to get him away from the computer!!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=34908559
    <p />Big Murth, I really like inverting the place setter and cooking babybacks. I use apple chunks for smoke flavor and cook 225-250 for up to 6 hours. Basting with BBQ sauce the last 20-30 minutes. Good luck and sounds soooo good.[p]CWM
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    6-12.jpg
    <p />Big Murth,[p]I do large batches direct and flip and rotate often. The amount of room just doesn't allow for indirect without lowering ceramic nearer the fire. I don't care much for that method and so I just do them direct and flip and rotate often(30 min). [p]Now, if you are wanting to eggsperiment: try Jslots method but use much longer times and much lower temps. Jslot told us at Eggtoberfest99 that he uses that method when he does large events he is paid to cook at -- ie: time is money and he is rushing it because he has to. Unless you're in a hurry, go longer and lower heat.[p]Let us know how it comes out.[p]Tim[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Doing direct like Tim's setup works very well if you keep temps at 250 and not above. I prefer not to do a lot of flipping when using the racks, as it seems to scrape off some of the rub each time. Plus it is a pain...requiring you to keep the egg open too long. Rotating the rack occasionally should suffice...unless the botttom starts getting really black, then I flip them. I put the thicker side of the ribs down if I use a rack. Direct will give you more bark/crust, and in my exerience you get more of a smoke flavor with the fat dripping on the coals.[p]My favorite method is on a second grate over a drip pan...laid flat if you have room. I like them at 250-275, and usually cook 3 hours bone down, then flip and go 2 hours. Then I like to finish them off with a sauce for the last hour (for a total of 6 with spares, and maybe 5:30 for babybacks,,,as an average). I do this direct on the elevated grate...minus the drip pan. This method gives me a more moist rib IMO. Not sloppy tender like the 3-2-1 method with foil, but more moist than the direct method. All of the methods are good, just depends how you like your ribs.[p]Pick your method and go with it. Soon you will have a favorite.
    Sounds like a fun cook. Enjoy![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    HU015.jpg
    <p />Big Murth,
    Here is a picture of Jslot and his wife Marti cooking ribs at Eggtoberfest 99,they were great.[p]Larry

• Big Murth
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks to you and Tim and CWMike for getting back to me with some great ideas. Unfortunately, there will not be enough Vodka and beer, or patience on my wife's part, to pull off a 5-6 hour cook at recommended lower temps. I probably can't get back to the house to start til close to 3:30-4:00, and may have have to turn up the wick to make it by 7-7:730. I am using the Lodge trivet at the bottom of the Large for better breathing as recommended by Tim, and I've got a nice mixture of BGE and Martha's Lump pretty much filling the firebox for an immediate light-off upon return home from work this afternoon(maple chunks soaking for smoke flavor). Still debating direct vs. indirect. Wish me luck, fellas, and again, danke shoen!!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I like ribs both direct or indirect. For direct, see the link. For indirect, I like JSlots technique with the mustard slather and lots of spicy rub. JJ's is good and so is Wild WIllie's Number One-derful rub from Jamieson's 'Smoke and Spice'. I also use a 14" stainless steel drip pan covered with foil and water-filled, with the cooking grate elevated with thin fire bricks. The major exception to JSlot's technique I use is to start the fire slow with a lot of smoke and let it build slowly to around 300F-325F. Then let it cook away for about 4 hours, turning once an hour. I then start saucing them about 5 times every 7 or 8 minutes or so (with the same sauce in the link) until they have a fair buildup on both sides. I let the sauce dry out a little the last 10 minutes. Total cook time is between 4:45 and 5 hours. Hope this helps.
    JimW

[ul][li]Ribs Direct[/ul]
  • Big Murth
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks Jim!! Looks like your Eggfest ribs were done in a shorter time frame, which is what I'll need today. I see you remarked not to use babybacks. Well, I'm committed...babybacks it is. I don't know if this computes, but it seems to me that if they indeed are smaller and less meaty (fatty), then they should cook pretty satisfactorily in a shorter time frame vs. the larger spare ribs.?? Anyway, I don't think anyone will starve tonight. Thank you!!

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    With the time frame you have described, I think you will be happiest with direct.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Babybacks will do just fine. All you have to do is maybe cook them at say 275F. That way they have a chance to cook properly without drying out. The total cook time will be 1:30 to 1:45. Good luck.
    JimW

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Is the plate setter the ceramic stone with legs? Is it considered "inverted" with the legs pointing up? Are you also using an inverted roast/rib rack? Thanks.
  • Big Murth
    Options
    PRobinson,
    Yes, that's the plate setter. But time ran out, and I'm cooking them as I write...direct at 275. I've got a real cob job with my racks to accomodate the ribs, and didn't even throw in a drip pan. Whoops!!! Cooking at 275, everythings' doing well, and the maple wood is screaming for mercy. Holy Smoke!!