Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size -- DOES IT MATTER??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a great site!! I am just starting (brought my MED BGE home yesterday) Have I chosen poorly? I thought that since it is just me (and dog), that I could cook about as much as I could eat on it. I don't think I'll be cooking major feasts, but a small turkey (10-11lbs) or maybe some bread, a pie. . . etc. would be nice. [p]I currently have a big gas grill and a New Braunfeld vertical smoker. Dislike them both. The smoker takes days to heat up to even smoking temps, and after living in Europe, then Japan, now back to the 'States, changing the gas-fittings and dealing with the tank each move as well as the lack of charcoal taste soured me on it as well. I love to cook (and eat:) )[p]Should I hi-tail it back and exchange for the large? I have been lusting after these babies for about five years, but do not want to make a big mistake before I get started.[p]Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Just-a-startin',
    I bought a medium, and ended up exchanging for a large. A medium will probably suffice for your cooking needs, but if you get addicted, and start looking for excuses to entertain, you might want the large. Check with your dealer, and see what their exchange policy is. My dealer charged me a 10% restocking fee, but gave me a full refund for the medium after 28 days.[p]You could always see how you like the medium, then add the small later.[p]Whatever you do, you are in for some serious cooking. Don't hesitate to yell with any questions.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />Just-a-startin', You'll definately receive a lot of replies to your post and you'll probably get the pros and cons - so I'll just say that I've had my medium for about 1.5 years, use it very frequently and haven't found anything (at least no yet) that I wanted to make and couldn't. Check out the link - it was all done on the medium. Good luck! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Just-a-startin',
    Stay with the medium and buy another size latter. The only mistake, was waiting fire years to purchase the first Egg. Welcome to the Forum and come back often with your questions or comments. We here love to Q and talk about it.
    Fireball

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Just-a-startin', if it`s just for you and the soup-hound the medium should be fine, like GFW says he has never been hampered by the size.[p]Mop!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Just-a-startin',[p] You may want to up-size at a later date, but for the time being, use & enjoy your med egg for all it's worth. If you feel you need help, join in anytime & someone will answer you. I think C.W has the night shift here.Hee Hee
    Welcome aboard.[p]Earl

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Mop,[p] Hey Roger, where is this market so I can get my free jerky sample? I hope you made loads, I will help with the taste testing.I still have to try to make it.[p]Earl
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Earl,I`ll do you one better buddy, give me your mailing address and It will come to you.....[p]I`ll send you a little vacuum packed pouch right off....[p]I have a batch in the green cooker now......just steamin away....[p]Mop!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Just-a-startin',
    the medium will do fine. After about a month or so you'll start sniffing around for a bargain deal (like EGGfest or EGGtoberfest) on a large but you'll have something to cook on while you wait. Unfortunately, your poor dog is going to starve. Not much meat left on those bones once you start eating stuff off the EGG. Better get him some dog food.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Earl, nah,,but sometimes I like to lay back and watch the fun..
    Your all on the money..for a single guy and his dog, the Medium will fill the bill. Amazing tho, how the company grow's after samples go out.
    Even a small would suffice.
    Look at all that stuff GFW makes us suffer for on his medium.. His quote "Life is a BGE"??
    :-)
    C~W

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Just-a-startin',
    Everyone speaks the truth, even if it is their own brand of the truth. Don't know what to tell you...but I checked in with this outfit for about a week before I took the plunge last December, and after a lot a missing chads, the final vote was for.....the Large. So far as what I've cooked, the medium would have sufficed. But guess what? Tomorrow I've got 12 people over for babyback ribs. Better safe than sorry! p.s. Like it's been said, start here for any help or opinions----everyone always delivers, and boy, do you learn good!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Just-a-startin',
    Kinda new to this myself, having had my BGE a little over a week. I do a fair bit of cooking with folks always coming over, so I went with a large. But for one person, a medium should be fine. And yes, everyone here is more than eager to help, so ask away!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]You are surely the Medium Egg poster boy! If it can be done, GFW has done it on a medium.[p]Tim