Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Options
Jake
Jake Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very excited to have finally recieve my BGE yesterday. I purchased a floor model that was on sale and got a good deal on it. However, It must be an older model because the Air Vent at the Bottom did not come with a screen. Is their a way I can Order one? Also, the lid Hinge I have seems to be not as well made as the newer models, but that isn't as big of a deal. I just dont want to start a fire with sparks flying towards the house from under the firebox.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Jake,
    Call the motherships retail store. Good luck, Tom

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jake,
    You can get the screens from BGE directly, but your dealer should be able to get them for you also...People been cooking on these eggs for MANY years before them screens came out...You wont typically have sparks coming out unless you are going nuclear, or are using a lump that sparks excessively.[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Jake,
    welcome aboard, but you'll need to use another name as Jake is already taken. Just go back to your post on click on Jake and you'll see what I mean.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jake, I'm sure you can get a screen. Call the BGE HQ at (770) 934-5300 and ask what it runs. They're light so shipping should be reasonable.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    WessB,
    i agree i dont have a screen on my large Bcause they didn't come out until after i bought one but my new small that i aquired at Egtoberfest came with one and i'm notr sur i really need it it does give you a little extra time for warmup as it restricts airflow a little bit
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Essex County
    Options
    Jake,
    If you can't wait for BGE to send you a screen, do what I did. Get a cheap stainless strainer, cut the screen out, trim it to a size a bit larger than the opening, and then push it from the inside onto the four screws that hold the bottom vent. I did this about a year ago with a $3 strainer and it works great. [p]Paul

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    So, do you have to remove the screen to clean out the ash?[p]Jim
  • Essex County
    Options
    JSlot,
    Never got an ash tool so I scoop out the ash from the inside using a flexible spatula.
    Paul