Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maxing out the mini

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I use my mini for small cooks, a couple of steaks or chicken breasts, but I'm sure some of you have really tested its capacity. What's the most food or biggest cook you've done on a mini?[p]Paul

Comments

• 36MVC-018E.jpg
    <p />Essex County,[p]4.2 pound pork butt.[p]Dave

• Grillicious
    Options
    Essex County, I'll be interested in the responses to this. I've seen posts where folks had a raised grid setup, which is the only approach that I can think of for increasing surface area. I'm am considering a setup like the Woo-ring that Sandbagger made for Woodoggies, and cooking on two levels.
  • Grillicious
    Options
    I dug out some of the photos I saved from previous posts for planning my own. Sorry I can't remember who posted what for proper credit.[p]One is a raised grid using a 9" x 1" or 2" (I can't remember which) cake pan:
    Miniraisedgrid3-9x115x0125.jpg
    The pan itself:
    expandablebakingringasagridlifter.gif
    And a Woo-ring type setup:
    Miniraisedgrid1.jpg

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Grillicious, hey I remember that ring...one of my better weld jobs, or was it grinding jobs on the welds....probably the later....LOL [p]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Essex County,
    Just for fun I did a small bone in butt, indirect setup. 10 hours and two loads of lump later I had pulled pork. Don't have the need to ever do that again. I managed to pile in 4 Idaho bakers, had to take out the thermometer. It worked. Tried to bake a small bread boule but it grew and plugged up the top vent. That did not work. Over the weekend I thought I could sear two ribeyes at a time but it was just a tad crowded end to end. I cooked a one pound hamburger, it was "great"... my 19 year old son, gulp, burrrrrp, said.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Essex County, I've done a 4-lb pork butt (as someone else said, now that I've done it, I don't need to do it again) but the most I've really gotten on at one time was four 1/3-lb hamburgers. It was pretty crowded but they did just fine. Took a bit of time to get the spatula under each one but it all worked out.