Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you had your egg?

Comments

• luis,[p]Cookin for 30, Grilling for 25, Smoking for 15. Finally brokedown for the superior Large product at Eggefest '06. I'll buy another every year till the set is complete.
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    luis,[p] Man after reading all the replys I need to wipe the snot from my nose and dry the wetness behind my ears....Had my large for a whopping 4 months and my small for three weeks.[p] Maybe I should take the newspaper off the carpet and see if I'm house broken yet!! lol[p] I don't post much but I read the fourm daily to continue my bbq education and get a good laugh at all the back n forth. This is one of the best and most informational fourms I read.[p]Thanks to all![p][p]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    luis,
    I got the summer of 1998 so I'm going on 9 years. What got me here with this rowdy bunch of grill nuts in the first place was this odd grill my dad had. Last year my firebox finally gave it up and this year in Atlanta I picked up a fire ring. The old one split in two after I replaced the firebox. I think it was jealous.[p]He bought a clay kamodo at the base exchange at Subic Bay, Phillipines. He had it as long as I can remember. I think he bought it on a float before I was born or shortly after. Never smoked anything with it, just burgers chicken and steak. It was completely beyound hope by the time he died so when I was cleaning up things in the yard/garage for my mom I finished busting it up and buried it in the backyard. Based on the close to thirty years that one was cooking as others have said even the clay ones can last a very long time.

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    luis,
    I got my LBGE, Lucy, on 9-15-06. I am one of the few who has managed to get a used one (a friend upgraded to an XL).
    We are now a great team and all my friends, family, neighbors and coworkers are also enjoying the learning process.
    I have only replaced the gasket being it was not great when I got Lucy.
    I am planning on getting a small this spring/summer, her name will be Ethel. Maybe a mini someday, Little Ricky.[p]Linnea

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    luis,[p]Bought the XL a year ago this month and added a mini about a month ago.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    luis,
    I've gone over 2 years with my large, nothing cracked, not even the firebox. My mini will be a year old this spring and I love them both. The only thing replaced was gaskets and just one time.(I also carved new handles for a better grip) I use my egg often, like today I'm baking bread. 400 degree dome in 14 degree weather. Amazing cookers, I just love them.
    Clay

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    luis,
    Got my large in 1998. It has been outside uncovered the entire time. No signs of wear and tear, but for the occasional gasket.
    Seth

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    luis,
    Coming up on 8 years three gaskets and two fire boxes mini for 5 years I think.

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    12 years, several fireboxes and rings. 2 grates and a ton of cooked goodies.
    Willis Tx.
  • luis,
    I've had one of my larges 8 years and just seem to keep adding every couple of years to the family. Eggs are the greatest cooking machines I've ever seen. I just ordered a mini, just so I can say I have one--See-Yaa

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Of the BGEs in my back yard, I bought the oldest November 1986. I've never replaced any of its parts; the original clay cap is sitting on its place. That one is not currently in use, as the firebox finally gave up the ghost last summer. Number two was purchased July 2006, and I just dumped the first 5 gallon bucket of ashes that one produced in what is to be next year's rose garden.[p]I bought my first kamado in 1974 in Naha, Okinawa. I brought it back to Hawaii in 1975 and left it with family there when I moved to Colorado, November 1976. That one still sits on my aunt's back porch, but it is rarely used.

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    buttdone1.JPG
    <p />Christmas 2001, so I guess that is six years now.
    Nothing broke, nothing replaced... oh yeah, I did replace the grate with a metal one.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus[/ul]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Richard,
    May will the forth year for both large Eggs.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    luis,
    Got the first, MEDIUM, about 6 years ago. Added the LARGE about 3 1/2 years ago. Great combination for me.

• luis, my large became a teenager last year. To celebrate I bought a "small" at Eggfest2006 to keep it company. The large is still the favorite but I'm starting to really enjoy the small. [p]Joe

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I'm going on 8 years (bought my large in the spring of 99).
  • First time poster,had mine 7 months ,best thing I have ever bought myself!!!
  • SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    luis,[p]
    May 2001. I can still remember my rookie season.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    luis,
    First started cooking on an Egg in 84-85. That's when they were made from fire brick mortor. Anything over about 400 would break it, and I finally did. Got one of the first ceramics when they came out years ago, thats when they had a noticable seam in them and were not truly round. I dropped and broke it last year. Short of impact damage they should last a life time.
    Mark

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    luis,[p]1999 for the large, 2003 for the mini and 2006 for the small.[p]The money layed down for the large has recouped itself a thousand times over. If it weren't for acquiring the large, I probably would never have made the countless friends through this forum or the competition community or continue to learn and refine my cooking skills or gotten to know a few of the local prime butchers or be the one family and friends defer to for the outdoor cooking..... or even have the name WooDoggies.... heee!

• luis,
    I got mine in October of last year, but played with Paul Blier's for the last fifteen months.
    The food he cooked was so wonderful, I had him to pick me up an egg at the last Festival.
    I love mine,
    Lu-Lu

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    My first one came home on April 9, 1997.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Speaking as someone who works with all kinds of ceramics day in and day out from all styles and ages... Yes, these things will last a lifetime and if for some reason they do not, the Big Green Egg Company backs up every egg with a rock solid Lifetime Guarantee.... so the short answer after the long-winded answer is Yes. :~)[p]john
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    luis,
    My first one was actually an Hibatchi pot that was a forerunner of the Egg. It was a clay pot that couldn't handle the high temps that a modern Egg can but otherwise looks exactly like one. I got it just outside of Yokota AB Japan in August 1972.
    JimW

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    luis,
    Aug.06' 5 Month newbie. Replaced gasket with Rutland. Best purchase i've made in 56years bar none!!!!!!!

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    luis,
    Bought my large in June 05, about a year and a half ago. Still consider myself a newbie, but learning something new every day. Only one flashback so far, 2 gaskets, and a fallen rain cap (JB welded, and still hangin in there). Small price to pay for the best food I could ever ask for.

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    luis,
    October of 2005 I bought (used) large # 1, the original owner bought it new in 1997. [p]Large # 2 was purchased by me in late 2005. [p]I also have a Small Egg I picked up 2-3 months ago at an estate sale that is less than a year old. [p]ChuckGGa

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• luis,
    A large since 1999 and I'm still learning how to use it.[p]Got a small in 2006.[p]Spring "Good Egg" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• luis,
    2 years and 6 months for my large, only replaced a gasket and the cast iron grate in the bottom this past November. The firebox is also cracked in an odd way, but it still cooks fine!
    It gets used about 2-3 times a week on average.[p]My small BGE I have had for 2 years and 4 months, only the gasket and thermometer needs replacing.[p]Both stay outside, un covered year round. Both are used regularly year round.[p]

• Got our XL this past week and thanks to some great Egger advice, we've already done steaks, burgers and pulled pork :) I bought a brisket today. I'm going to low and slow that puppy so it wil be just right when hubby comes home tomorrow night.