Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low carb pizza dough??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there such a creature? I am low carbing so the meat is cooking daily on my BGE. I love pizza and have tons of venison sausage and would love to make some pizzas but the dough is holding me back. Any thoughts or recipes?
Thanks.
Randy

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    debander,
    Try low carb, or low net carb, tortillas; they make an acceptable crust.[p]HTH
    Ken

• debander,[p]I have tried most of the low carb dough kits that are being sold in the last few years and none of them are fit to eat. I have also tried many different recipes using some crazy ingredients like soy flour and again, nothing fit to eat. I am using the low carb wheat tortillas in both the 8" and 5" size depending on the type of pizza I make. These work good and are only 4-6 grams of net carbo's per unit. I do them on a pan and they come out very good. It's still not the real thing but I can live with it for awhile. [p]This is a three 8" low carb pizza bake.[p]37MVC-002E.jpg[p]I start by making my own low carb sauce as it is easy to make and I can keep the carbs at just under 2 carbs per serving. [p]37MVC-003E.jpg[p]This is about all the ingredients for my pizzas.[p]37MVC-004E.jpg[p]This is two of the tortillas on a baking pan ready to be made into pizza. [p]37MVC-005E.jpg[p]Start with a little of my chunky sauce.[p]37MVC-006E.jpg[p]Loaded up and just before the cheese went on the pizza.[p]37MVC-007E.jpg[p]Pizza ready to go on my large Egg.[p]37MVC-008E.jpg[p]The results of my bake. I call a serving at 1/2 of one of these 8" pizzas and this slice contains about 3.5 grams of carbo's per serving. [p]Dave[p]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    debander,
    I agree with dave and ken, low carb tortillas. I like them better than reg. torts for pizza. It's fun too. Everyone can make their own pie, just don't put too much in the middle or it can get messy. I use a cast iron skillet w/o the handle, upside down. We do these often.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • debander,
    i have backed off from zealous low-carb eating to limiting "empty" carbs (anything white) and using ingredients with lower glycemic index. for pizza crust i have been using whole wheat flour. if you buy the garden variety "stone ground" whole wheat flour in the supermarket, the gluten level (low) is such that you normally need to mix it 50/50 with white flour to get an acceptable dough--of course this defeats much of the purpose of using whole wheat flour in the first place. i've been using King Arthur white whole wheat flour--about the same gluten level as white flour, but with the lower glycemic index of whole wheat flour. KA WW flour is finely ground, and has the same consistency as white flour. KA also makes a "normal" fine ground whole wheat flour, but the taste of the white WW flour is much milder than normal WW flour.
    while it's available by mail order from King Arthur Flour's web site, shipping makes it expensive. you may find it locally if you have a whole foods/wild oats/fresh market kind of store near you. [p]Ken

• debander,
    Try Joseph's "Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas"
    5 carbs, 6 fiber and a lovely doughiness (you have to like a raw dough feel though)
    The normal supermarkets up north keep them in front of the deli section with the flatbreads,,,,