Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight will by my first....... NY Strip here I come!!!!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The excitement is killing me I had to share since no one else understands why I have been sitting in front of my computer for hours this entire week reading this forum. [p]In a few hours I will be firing up my brand new (to me) large egg. I have done a few dry runs with nothing on the grill but tonight my date with my egg is going to happen. [p]I went to Costco (which is the best place ever) bought a pack of Choice NY Strips. Pulled one out, freezing the other three for later next week. [p]Here is my question: The NY Strip is about 1.5 to 2 inch thick, I like my meat Med Rare, what type of temp's and time should I do? I want to make sure my first is awesome!!! [p]On a side note, I have never joined a group (The BGE forum group) that is so active, helpful and fun. Thanks for making my eggperince so great with all this wonderful knowledge.

Comments

• TexasRob,
    LOL at the first date with your egg.
    Lawd! I bonded with mine on the first cooking.
    I even catch myself peeking out the window at it, just to make sure it hasn't walked off.
    You will do great.
    Let an old timer egger tell you the do's and don't.
    I have cooked many steaks, and as I have said before, even I can turn out some mean stuff on the egg.
    Happy Egging,
    Lu-Lu

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    TexasRob,
    don't bother freezing them. call it wet aging, which it is.[p]as for the thick steaks, you'll get advice about Trexing, which is spot-on. Great way to go. [p]an alternative is to warm up the steak beyond room temp by putting it in a ziploc and driving the air out. then keep it in the hottest tapwater you can muster, changing the water once or twice when it is merely 'warm'. [p]after a half hour or so (the time it takes to enjoy a couple beverages as the egg hits 700 or so), take the steak out, salt it with coarse (kosher) salt, and let it go for maybe 90 seconds a side. if your tap water is 120-30, the steak will go on already 100 internal (or more). your steak will be just about perfect after the 90 second sears each side.[p]get a thermapen, though. true instant-read thermo. aim for 130-135 internal. a thick steak will carry over, maybe hitting 135-140 just resting on the plate.[p]if you don't know what temp you like, yer gonna have to go by feel.[p]don't stand there flipping the steak all over, either, lift the lid, throw it on, start the clock, shut the lid. flip once.[p]have fun.
    you never forget the first time.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    TexasRob,[p]Do remember, the Egg will be !HOT! for a steak sear. Long tongs and gloves are a must if you want any hair on your hands or forearms. If its cool enough where you are to wear a jacket, long sleeves are a plus.[p]And after having fun with the fire, you'll have fun with the flavor.[p]gdenby

• TexasRob, Only problem with cooking one steak is the fun is nearly over by the time you get started. Enjoy!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    TexasRob,[p]I was going to give advice but Stike beat me to exactly what I was going to say. The only thing I might contest is the exact seasoning you decide to try.[p]But remember, if a young boy shoots his first deer under a pine tree next to a corn field the day after Thanksgiving, he will always view that as the only place and time to shoot a deer. Even if you like the results that you get from this first cook, you have to remember that there are many other ways to cook a steak!
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    TexasRob,
    Before I had all the fancy temp probes and such I used a method to determine when the steak was where I wanted it.
    Hold your hand out palm side up(and straight) and don't tighten up.
    Press on the pad under your little finger for medium. press on the middle for well done, and press on the area at the base of your thumb for rare. Thats the feel method that worked for me.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    TexasRob,
    Tighten your laces my friend. Your worst meals will be better than your best in your PE days. (Pre Egg).[p]Is a tight and fun group. I've been on this forum for 7-8 years and have made some good friends near and far. If you are from Texas, you should make the trip to Austin for the TXEggfest![p]Post often...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    TexasRob,[p]Welcome Egger![p]So, how'd it turn out?