Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg on a trailer

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine are working on building the world's greatest smoking/tailgaiting trailer. I cannot imagine such a creation that did not have two Big Green Eggs aboard along with every other tailgaiting essential. I am worried about the durability of an egg (particularly the ceramics) cracking or breaking if it is hauled around regularly hitting bumps and such. Has anyone done this and had any trouble?? Does anyone have any tips for the safe (regular) transport of eggs? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks[p]

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Arkansas Egg,
    Keep them in the nests and strap them tightly and you'll be fine.[p]We carry the EGGs for competitions in a trailer strapped to the wall and before that we hauled them in the back of a pickup tied down 3 different ways.[p]You'll end up with some cracks in your fireboxes and fire rings but they've never done more than crack.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Bobby-Q,
    Why dont you remove the firebox and ring when you haul them?Is it becuse it takes up to much room to store?I can see a firebox crack,no big deal.Have lived with that problem for two years.But the fire ring is another thing.Never heard of that getting a crack.Does it spread at a rapid rate?

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Arkansas Egg,
    Here is the setup, I'm trying to get someone to build me. Link provided.
    Back of the trailer would fold down and back door open for more eggs to come out and use.
    The front would have some eggs welded down (insides out).
    This would work great for everything, comps/fests/demonstrations/for hire/ect.
    I have the generator/cabinets/sinks from seconds at a friend of mine that is a builder.
    Keep me posted.
    Mike

[ul][li]Good start.[/ul]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Car Wash Mike,
    You have just made my day! I'm gonna use this to give to my friend to build me one!!

• Car Wash Mike
    HEY PAL! ronbeaux,
    Show a little love. Seriously, is that a great set up?[p]Mike

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    darnoc,
    Actually the XLs have been fine, but my Larges both have cracked fire rings. They are fine because they stay in place perfectly.[p]Once the fire ring cracks once I don't think it will crack again.

• ronbeaux
    Car Wash Mike,
    That is cool for sure. I've been looking for something like that to haul two eggs, a Primo oval, and my grandfathers' old pit to compete. With the fold down back to roll things out and the other amenities that is the ticket! Might even mount a wench to help roll them back in. GP's pit weighs around 400lbs!

• Arkansas Egg,
    Someone should post a pic of Jim Minon's rig. I think that is his name.[p]The meca of bbq trailer with eggs.....

• Car Wash Mike,
    That is a fancy rig. The price makes me think we should start selling those things. I am not looking at anywhere near that kind of money and I think I could get all the features.
    About your Egg-mounting. You said "eggs welded down" how exactly do you mean you would do that? Would you put any sort of shock absorbers on it?? Are you just fabricating some sort of banded metal to hold it in??
    Thanks for your help[p]

• Bobby-Q,
    Thanks for the help. I love the Egg, just don't want to ruin it. I am considering some sort of heat resistant rubber to nest it in. Also looking at devising a spring system that I think could work.[p]

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Arkansas Egg,
    I've been renting ramp trailers from U-Haul to get my Eggs back and forth to competitions. I take the guts out, wheel my double Egg table into the trailer and strap them and the table tight to the side. They handle the ride well and I work right out of the trailer all weekend.[p]Cheers,
    sean

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Arkansas Egg,[p]I have two eggs in a table sitting on patio blocks and I've hauled them all over the country with no breaks. The patio blocks break but never the eggs, firebox or rings. I even leave the platesetters in but place them on top of the cooking grid with legs up for travel.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Arkansas Egg,
    I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'm trying to get someone in KC to build me a set up kind of like this one.
    I know I can get it done for about 7K or less.
    Mike

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    That made my day, ronbeaux! But you might need a couple of wenches to help move them back in! I hope you meant "winch"[p]wench
    Pronunciation: 'wench
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English wenche, short for wenchel child, from Old English wencel; akin to Old High German wankOn to totter, waver and probably to Old High German winchan to stagger -- more at WINK
    1 a : a young woman : GIRL b : a female servant
    2 : a lewd woman : PROSTITUTE

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    DSC00131.JPG
    <p />Wadster,
    I think you are talking about the Wimer's trailor Billy....Here is a picture from WessB's site.
    Larry

• Arkansas Egg,
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever figured out how to transport an egg on a trailer hitch shelf. In other words, no trailer, but figured out a way to just use a trailer hitch. They make little shelves, but you'd probably need to reinforce the hitch and then create a frame around the egg. [p]I want to just wheel my egg nest over to the back of the SUV and slide a post into the receiver...then I could take my egg with me everywhere I go! Wait...I don't have an egg yet. Dam.[p]Anyone seen something like this?

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    You are correct Sir!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ad610344.jpg
    <p />mukl,
    this is my setup for carrying the egg, makes it easier to tie down as well in the truck. they make a nice platform that swings away from the vehicle that mounts into a 2x2 reciever hitch for mounting things behind the vehicle.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    Looks good. No trouble with cracking or breakage??

• mukl,
    I think it could be done. Let me study on that one and see if I can make it work. I got a buddy who can fabicate just about anything.

• Car Wash Mike,
    I understand completely. I appreciate the ideas. I would love to see a picture of your masterpiece.[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Arkansas Egg,
    ive broken fireboxes, but not from moving them. my last firebox cracked during a cook several years ago and i havent replaced it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ronbeaux
    J Appledog,
    It spell checked OK!

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    mukl,Have seen several different set ups to fit trailer hitches. one was just a cargo carrier that they wer tied down on. Another was a double hinged cago carrier that swung out from behind the vehicle by remove some lock pins. Also saw a set up at a contest that was built out of a dog carrier. They had leg with wheels at each corner that the could adjust up or down. It fit in a reciever hitch and they slide it out and roll it. [p]We haul four in an enclosed trailer and have had no problems. I do all the loading and unloading so they make it home.