Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 lb. Standing Rib roast

billy bob
billy bob Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mom is buying a prime rib roast for my dads birthday this weekend. Any suggestions on direct/ indirect, temps, favorite rubs, etc. This will be my first prime rib on mr. egg. Thank you[p]Billy-Bob

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Billy-Bob,[p]I tend to go light on the meat prep as I like to let this nice cut of beef stand on its own. A light rub of peanut oil and some fresh minced garlic and onion with a 2-8 hour rest is nice.[p]I favor a direct cook (240-250°F dome temp) with an early application of a smoke flavoring (Red oak is very nice). I cook, flipping the meat around every 45 minutes to expose all sides to the fire (end up with the bone side down to finish), to an internal temp of 135°F. Give it a 15 minute rest before carving.[p]Spin[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Billy-Bob,
    Go to the new recipes section and look at "Dr. Chicken's Old English Prime Rib" recipe. It is a winner and very easy, even for a first time. If you have any questions, just e-mail me and I will hollar back in the morning, after work.[p]Good luck no matter how you do it! You all are in for a real taste treat!!!![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Did one just about the same size over the Christmas holidays, tortured myself on how to cook it! Settled on a light coating of olive oil, salt, pepper and not much else. Placed on a V rack in a drip pan with a dome temp steady at 350* for about 20 min per pound. Use a polder probe and pull at 125* internal temp for a beautiful rare/med rare. Keep the egg cranking and if someone needs a little touch up after you carve it bring the temp to 700* for a quick sear on each side just like a steak. This worked great for me! served with American horseradish cream sauce on page 79 in the Joy of Cooking. Yum city!
    Good Luck
    Greg