Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri-tips

Options
AnE
AnE Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone!!! We had a fabulous Superbowl of Pulled Pork and Chicken Wings...(but we're mourning here in Tennessee)- got a question for all of you..I've been looking for tri-tips at our local Costco-they don't seem to sell them by that name--any one know if they have a Southern nickname??? My brother's coming in tomorrow to spend a few days with us and I'd like to try one...THANKS! Elizabeth

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    AnE,
    The Costco here labels them Tri-Tip Steaks.
    Pound on the window, and ask them guys in the white blood-covered aprons. They will fix you up. The Costco here also has Boston Butts and Briskets, but you have to pound on the glass and ask. Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, ooops...sorry..finger slippage again..I agree with ya.. I had to pound on the meat case to get mine. First thing is to prime em and tell em your testing them for top rankings..ask em to cut you a tri tip! First butcher I asked drew a blank, and he waved over the floor to another butcher,,hey, whats a tri tip?? The other butcher grinned, and waved me over to his end, dug a big sirloin out of the cooler and slapped it on the table..Said, "how many"? I told him two while he was at it. He deftly carved out the triangular piece of meat from the sirloin, trimmed off the fat cap, and got another out of the cooler and did the same thing. Be sure and have em trim that fat cap off as much as possible..You need it only on a brisket! The triangular piece of meat thick at the butt and narrow and thin at the base is where it gets its name.[p]Now when I go in there for my tri tips..and my butcher isn't there, it goes on special order for the next day. :-)[p]Great eating..Good luck Elizebeth..C~W[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote - you said the butcher guy asked "how many" as he drug out a sirloin. If I understand tri-tip, it's like a brisket in that each cow has only one - which makes them hard to come by. I have asked a couple of butchers here and I eaither here - No, can't get one - You must be from Calf - or I'll order it. I have yet to get one but I am waiting. [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, Its cut from the outer parts of a big sirloin roast and its the most tender part of it. I think they grind up the rest for 80% hamburger..:-) I told my butcher that that was the first time I had seen a expert cut the tri tip from the roast..he offered to have me come back to the table hand he would show me how..heeee. I declined, I liked his work better.
    When he trimmed out the tri tip, he was following the gristle tissue that was the road map for him thru the rest of the roast. I mean this is a big hunk of roast to start with 20 to 30 lbs. The outer part has a lot of suet to trim off and have em trim it clean. Some is o.k. but you really don't need the basting of this for a nice tender finished tri tip roast.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Tim M,
    I understand that there are 2 per beef.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, I hear the same thing - I can find the pre-packaged ones, but not the fresh ones.

• DaveW
    DaveW Posts: 3
    Options
    AnE,
    Our local Costco sells tri-tips. The same cut of meat at Costco used to be called Sirloin Tails. Don't know what prompted the name change but maybe you can find them in your area.[p]Good Luck,[p]Dave