Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky----no marinade

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin all......[p]Has anyone done jerky without marinade before?[p]I would like to try it this weekend, but, I don't have a clue how to.[p]Just pepper and other spices maybe.[p]Thanks,[p]Mick

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    Give this one a try and let us know if it works. I found it on foodtv.com there was also an Emeril recipe as well.
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Beef Jerky[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]I'm obviously still a jerky rookie (or is that a rookie jerk?) having done only one batch so far. I'm contemplating doing a batch using only JJ's rub and an overnite snooze in the fridge. Whaddya think?[p]K~G

• MickeyT
    Options
    KennyG,[p]How long would it take to rub 80 pcs. of jerkage?????[p]I never thought of that element........[p]I put my JJ's in a large shaker for ease of use. Maybe I line them up like little soldiers and sprinkle away.[p]Maybe JJ's and some crushed red and black pepper for heat.[p]Keep those good ideas coming.[p]Mick

• MickeyT
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds like a good plan. I'll just exchange the oven for the egg.[p]Thanks,[p]Mick

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    Lechters has a real nice stainless shaker with
    a snap on plastic top for about $5. It's about the size
    that you see places like McDonalds use in their fry pits.
    I got one and have been using it with JJ's rub and it works
    great. Saves time too.[p]Chuck

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    MickeyT., My attempt was very feable and turned out terrible. I sliced up a little meat but in a zip lock bag overnight with just soy sauce. Put fresh cracked pepper on after placing on grill. YUK.[p]CWM

• MickeyT
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Anything with YUK attached to it ain't for me.[p]Thanks CWM,[p]Mick

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    MickeyT., What flavour are you trying to get rid of to want to try "virgin" jerky.
    I`m wondering what it would be with just some worchestershire and spices without the soy?[p]Mop!

• MickeyT
    Options
    Mop,[p]I guess what I'm doing Mp is experimenting. As I do like to cook jerky, it would be a time saver if I could get the same results (which I doubt) without making the matinade and all the stuff that goes along. Wife thinks it kinda smells up the kitchen a might.[p]Mick

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MickeyT., I use a 2 gallon plastic bag - no smell in the kitchen - However, I do have to remove the finished product from the kitchen to my office at home - she also doesn't like the smell.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Howdy all!![p]I've never been over here but someone told me about some jerky thread...[p]I been making jerky for over 15 years and I've done about every kind possible.[p]Here is my advice for "dry" jerky(I have one customer who loves this mixture)........[p]The hardest part is gauging the salt. You need to put lots of it on! I freely sprinkle it and apply to both sides. I will then also put some TenderQuick on, again both sides. This will cure it and the stuff will last forever without refrigeration plus the salty flavor helps.[p]McCormick's makes a great spice called HotShots(I think)...it is simply some black and red pepper coarsley ground. I apply that on one side only...again I use a lot. It is pretty hot, unless you are a chile head.[p]To make the job much easier, sprinkle the spices on BEFORE cutting into strips. My butcher will cut mine into large, thin sheets....all I have to do is cut into strips however wide I want.[p]After the stuff is applied I use an empty wine bottle and roll the spices into the meat. This assures they will stick.[p]Then it is right onto the smoker...no waiting.....start smoking.[p]Well, I've run my mouth enough. If any of you would like to e-mail feel free. I have a web site devoted to jerky making...actually it is just a couple pages with many recipes I have tried.[p]Hope this helps!![p]Stogie[p]bbq.gif

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Stogie,
    Thanks for coming over to share with us. I like the idea of using a wine bottle to press the seasoning into the meat. I understand about gauging the salt correctly. [p]Could you share the proportions of salt and spices for say three pounds of meat?[p]Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Stogie,
    Please repost your address as it has a fault and my mail came back, or at least post your website you mentioned. Thanks.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    one feral kat,[p] See my other post. Looks like we submitted almost concurrently.[p]MikeO
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Hi guys...and I guess a few ladies as well?? [p]Sorry for the e-mail screw-up..it is now correct.[p]MikeO, Thanks so much for posting my site. I am in the process of updating for the upcoming 2001 season.[p]RhumAndJerk, I have never measured any salt or other spices. I use Kosher salt and some TenderQuick. I cover completey BOTH sides with salt...I would say not as thick as a rub, but a pretty good amount. How's that for accurate?? LOL The other spices are a little easier because you can see them easier. I cover on one side only.[p]Another suggestion for all, I always make about 6-10 lbs. at a time. I will split this evenly and make several batches. I still make at least 2 batches every time...one hot for myself and one mild for the family.[p]So, if you are trying some new recipes always make a couple batches![p]Good Luck to you all! Feel free to write![p]Stogie