Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib membrane

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done a lot of ribs and the one step I really don't enjoy is getting the membrane off before I hit them with the rub. Sometimes it's really easy; sometimes it's hard as hell.[p]Is there anything besides patience, a sharp knife, and elbow grease that can make this step easier?[p]Hank

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Hank,
    point of a knife under the first rib, grab the thing with a paper towel and it should come right off....[p]one or two tries, usually.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Hank,
    Make your cut under the membrane as wide as you can get it.Be VERY GENTLE when you start to pull it down.You do not want to rush this stage.After a few tries you will get the hang of it.But once in a while that dang gone membrane will start to tear side ways.Sometimes you win some other times you loose and have to start over.LOL.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hank,
    an inexpensive pair of catfish skinner pilers does the trick - available at most sporting goods stores that have fishing supplies.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Hank,[p]In the old BGE video I noticed one person removing the membrane using a catfish skinner. Well, I knew nothing of catfish skinners, so went to my local Bass Pro Shop, found and purchased one.[p]It grips the membrane pretty well and I use it most of the time, but occasionally I go back to using a paper towel.[p]It's really whatever works at the time.[p]DD
  • Hank,
    Yes, I have success with a plier designed for skinning catfish. It has a grip width of about 1 inch. They are inexpensive.[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Hank,[p]Oh sure there is...take the rack and roll it up, meat side in. This stretches the membrane. When you unroll the rack there is now some slack in the membrane, because some of it has torn free. It will now be easier to remove. [p]Still find a corner and use a paper towel to grip it when peeling it off.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hank,[p]I have found the easiest way to remove the membrane is to lift it in the center of the rib. put your finger under it and it pull straight up it comes loose from the center out and comes off very easy with no paper towels or pliers.[p]Bucki'quer