Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

size of egges

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decide whether to buy a medium or large egg for my husband. The largest thing I can imagine him cooking is a turkey. Don't think he'ld be cooking more than one big item at a time. Any ideas?

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Victoria,
    Go for the large. I own two mediums and a mini and I even see the need for the large. Buy the large you or he will never be sorry. The large gives you just more space both on the ccoking surface and height for a larger turkey. By the way, welcome to the forum and the BGE family.
    Fireball

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Victoria,
    If capacity is the issue, then go for the large.[p] He may not be cooking more than one big thing at a time, but he will be able cook more little things at the same time. You can fit more racks of ribs, multiple Boston Butts for Pulled Pork, and full sized salmon fillets. Also, the large is better suited for baking things like pizza, bread and pies. [p]What a lucky man your husband is![p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Victoria,
    I bought a medium and exchanged within 30 days for a large. Since then I have added a small.[p]The medium will suffice, but the large gives you more flexibility, and IMO is a better choice. Overall, the egg will change the way you cook in ways that are hard to imagine, and you will be glad to have the extra space that the large offers.[p]Whatever you decide, enjoy. And stop back often. Help and ideas are a few keystrokes away.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Victoria, Large and nest or table..Welcome aboard..!!
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Victoria,[p]Welcome to the forum.[p]I would go for the large as your husbands outdoor cooking will increase, both in quality and variety. A great gift idea.[p]Give a shout here if we can help with the use and cooking on the new Egg.[p]Spin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Victoria,
    I just bought my large BGE this month, i had the same problem trying to make up my mind. Lots of great input from the forum. I decided (as suggested here) on the large. The price difference between the medium and large was about $70. The difference in the size of the large as to that of the medium was worth the extra $$ to me. Hope this helps.
    New Bob

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Victoria,[p] Ditto what everyone else has already said. I'll add that if you're near Maryland, there are still some large BGEs available at the Eggfest, which is happening on April 28th in Waldorf, MD. You get a good discount on the BGE, nest and thermometer. See http://www.tm52.com/eggfest/demos.htm for details.[p]MikeO
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Victoria,[p]Welcome!!!!![p]It's like dressing for the cold. If you have it on you can always take it off if you get too hot. If your cold you are gonna wish you had put on that other sweater that's sitting on your bed at home.[p]Large............IMHO.[p]Mick.[p]P.S. When your husbands cookin those 2 butts on the large he's gonna need a medium anyway to cook those chicken wings for an appetizer. :>)

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Victoria,
    Yup, it looks like a consensus vote for the Large. I started, only this last Xmas...and thanks to everyone's input here on the Forum..I got pushed in the right direction. You get what you pay for. The Large will do every small cook as well as the others, and do the big cooks as only it can. As mentioned earlier, but I'll say it a different way....you deserve a big smooch (from your hubby)!!

• Victoria,[p]Go with the large - your husband will be glad you did. It's kinda like when you buy a boat; soon it's not long before you wish you'd got the bigger one.[p]OctoberGlory

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    Victoria,
    He is a very lucky man. Start him off with the large. You can always go from there. Don't tell my wife that I wrote this.
    Jake

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Orio Kid , are you and the missus coming to the Eggfest in April? I think a lot of us would like to meet you two.

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    char buddy,
    Bridget and I would really love to, but we can't. We are going to try to go to Atlanta though. Hopefully we can see everyone there.
    Jake