Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA HERE!!!! Need Help! 1st Time & I Need Suggestions!

WoodChuck
WoodChuck Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got online and was prusing through posts (YES THERE SHOULD BE A MISSOURI EGGFEST!) and my wife just leaned over my shoulder and said go to "Outdoor Home" (Shameless plug for where I got my BGE here in Springfield MO) and pick up a Pizza Stone for a family movie nite and Pizza Fest! BUT I NEED HELP! I know there are recipes in the cookbook but what is the set up and how long and what are the things I should really look for! I will return shortly after making my trip! [p]Let's ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    101_0023-1.jpg
    <p />Wood Chuck,
    here is what your setup should look like only thing diffrent is put your BGE "feet" under the pizza stone.go at about 500ish deg. 8-10 min you leave your daisey wheel open and you can look through the top and spy on it
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Wood Chuck,[p]Check out the ceramic cooking recipe section at the Naked Whiz's website:
    [ul][li]Naked Pizza[/ul]
  • IMGP0470.JPG?dc=4675592081690407239
    <p />Wood Chuck, One question is how do you get that floppy pizza off the counter and on to your stone. Some use pans, some build it on the peel w/lots of flour and slide it off, some build it on parchment paper and slide the peel under the parchment paper. I have tried all, but currently use the invention of the century, the super peel.[p]I always cook at 450 with great results after preheating for a long time. Most people here cook hotter. [p]Heat your stone along with your egg. If you put a cold stone in a 500 degree egg, it might explode. [p]I always throw about a cup of fruitwood chips on as every pizza goes on the egg. The smoke flavor is where the money is for me. [p]Pizza is my favorite food on the egg after 3 years of trying it all. Have fun, Scott

[ul][li]peel it [/ul]
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Wood Chuck,[p]I like Spin's dough recipe off the recipe section, and if you have a restaurant supply close to you I highly recommend a pizza screen. This saved me from the burnt crust blues. Pizza screens also allow you to improvise/skimp on the pizza peel, but peels are cheap if purchased from rest. supply and NOT William-Sonoma etc.[p]I go 550ish, platesetter legs down, stone on top, pizza on screen, peek through the top to gauge doneness.[p]Don't forget, the Egg vastly improves frozen / take n bake pizzas too.[p]hth
    BigT

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    BigT,
    Quote "peek through the top to gauge doneness."
    Now I remember where my eyebrows went. Of course, I do have a nice facial tan now. ;)

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Wood Chuck,
    There lies in wait a web site by a person that lurks among us that I have personally found to be of immense help. It is The Naked Whiz's site. Thia individual seems extremely immersed in the Big Green Egg and all of the Q world. I will not try my next pizza w/out visiting that site. My 1st pizza was a disaster....had no peel....no flour...no cornmeal....then to make matters worse....I soaked my pizza stone in soapy water to clean it.....no soap on the stone please when you finish...just scrape and wipe clean. Mine is currently soaking in clean water then out for two days in the sun to dry completely. Mid week I will be trying another pizza. Good luck w/yours

• BENTE,
    Thanks, Just picked up the stone! Kids & Mom are Eggcited! You suggest that I use the ceramic feet that my BGE sits on currently to put between the stone and the cooking grate? Is that right![p]Lets ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!

• Haggis,[p]Thanks for the HELP! So I should have picked up a Plate Setter as well! Oh well I will use three fire bricks I have left over from an outdoor fireplace I have![p]Lets ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!

• Scotty's Inferno,[p]Thanks for the suggestions!!! I think the parchment paper or wax paper will have to work until I can order a pizza peel![p]Lets ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!
  • BigT,[p]Thanks for the help, there are a coulple of Restaurant Supply houses here in Springfield! Be a nice way to fill a lazy Saturday![p]Lets ALL RAISE the BAR - B - Q!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    101_0359.jpg
    <p />WoodChuck,
    yes just like above. do this for two reasons
    1 it lets airflow between your platesetter and the pizza stone
    101_0360.jpg
    2 it allows room for your pizza peel to get in there without hitting your gasket like you can see from my gasket on the top pic thats from not using the "feet"
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Wood Chuck,
    Here's my page of pizza hints and tips:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    edbro,[p]"Peeking thru the top"[p]Pizza is a walk in the park compared to a T-rex sear with short tongs ;)[p]BigT

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    ... not when you fire it up around 850-900 for a 2 minute cook. :lol:
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    That was supposed to be in reply to BigT's walk in the part comment. Oh well.