Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cole Slaw Receipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good salt water cole slaw receipe they can share?

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    MoEggHed,
    Never heard of a salt water version of cole slaw.Please explain.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    darnoc,
    Perhaps the cabbage is sliced or shredded and brined for a period of time??

• darnoc,
    i was thinkin if i made my infamous creamy coleslaw and drove to key west, then it would be salt water slaw. that's why i ought not be thinkin...........

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    MoEggHed,
    Something like this?
    Packer's Cole Slaw:[p]1 tablespoon noniodized or canning salt
    1 cup water
    1/2 cabbage, washed and finely shredded
    1 stalk celery, shredded
    1 carrot, shredded
    1/2 green pepper, shredded
    3/4 cup vinegar
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1 cup sugar[p]At home: Dissolve the salt in the water in a large bowl, then soak the cabbage in the salt water for an hour. Add the next three ingredients and let them soak for another 20 minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly. Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, and sugar in a pan and bring it to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the dressing over the rinsed vegetable mixture in the bowl and marinate, covered, for at least 24 hours before dehydrating. Divide the dried slaw into plastic bags (1/3 cup of dried salad is adequate as a side dish for one person).[p]In camp: Add an equal amount of water to each portion of salad (1/3 cup of water to 1/3 cup of salad) and allow it to reconstitute for at least half an hour. Yield: 3 1/2 to 4 cups (10 to 12 side dishes).[p]Chrispy Bob