Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Temp?? How do I get egg to 500-600 range??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newbie with the Egg no doubt! I've followed the rules and cant seem to get the temp up high enough for cooking steaks and such. Anyone got any pointers?? I leave the bottom vent wide open as well as the top. The highest I seem to get it to is 400 or so. It's brand new so I know its getting good air flow. Should I use a chimmney to set the charcoil or just layer the coals in a bed and ignite? Thank ya much!!!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Egg Newbie, the temperature is a factor of three factors:
    1. Lump
    2. Oxygen
    3. Time[p]Assuming you put enough lump into the firebox (don't believe that "double handful" stuff in the manual. You need a full firebox to get it up to 500.), and that oxygen can freely (no blocked holes in the grate or firbox and bottom and top vents are open) then after 30 minutes you should have a 500 degree (or hotter) fire.

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    I think Wise One is on the right track. Use more lump. After you get it lit, stir the lump around a little and then wait about 10 more minutes. I am certain you will have a 500+ fire. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Egg Newbie,
    Also, make sure the opening in the bottom of the firebox is lined up with the bottom vent.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for advice!! Im thinkin Im not using enough lump as mentioned earlier. Thats what I get for following manuals for a change. ha.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Egg Newbie,[p]This is a common question (it really ought to be in an FAQ if there was such a thing -- whoops, the Whiz and WessB have the equivalent!) [p]Wise One gave the basics. The specifics include:[p]1. Don't believe the manual that came with the Egg. You cannot reach high temps with only a handful of lump. You should plan on maintaining a level at least above the holes in the side of the firebox and preferably a one to two inches higher. If you put out the fire (using the ceramic top and closing the vent) after each cook, most of that will remain for the next cook.[p]2. If you use too much small charcoal pieces, it'll restrict the air flow and hold down temps. Try to mix larger with smaller.[p]3. Align the cutout in the bottom of the firebox with the lower vent in the Egg. This maximizes the flow of air.[p]4. Since you have a new Egg this one probably won't apply: make sure the small holes in the firebox are not clogged, that the holes in the grate holding the lump are not clogged, and that there is not so much ash beneath the grate and around the outside of the firebox that the airflow is not restricted.[p]As an aside, I use, most often, Royal Oak lump and if I leave the lower vent completely open and the top completely uncovered, my temps soar. I have had temps that totally wrapped the thermometer needle around - I'd guess well over 1000 degrees. That is NOT a good thing so be careful to avoid it. Most cooking, other than short high temp sears and pizzas, are done below 400 degrees.
  • Hi. New egger here. I did my 3rd cook today and "transitioned" from 225 slow cook to 600 for steaks.
    Be sure to remove that black , metal cap with the rotating vent wheel. This opens it up enough and it really gets rockin in about 15 20 min.
  • Hi. New egger here. I did my 3rd cook today and "transitioned" from 225 slow cook to 600 for steaks.
    Be sure to remove that black , metal cap with the rotating vent wheel. This opens it up enough and it really gets rockin in about 15 20 min.
  • Egg Newbie,[p]When I do low-n-slow cooks or roasts, I just dump the lump in the firebox and don't worry about chips, dust, etc. When I do a high temperature sear, I disassemble the grate, fire ring and firebox, clean everything up, and hand pick the lump. No chips or dust allowed. Nothing smaller than a golf ball. I fill it partly into the fire ring and light about 5 spots with the MAPP torch. Set the bottom vent wide open, remove the daisy wheel, and I'm between 750 and 1000 degrees in about 30 minutes.[p]BIG WARNING!!! When you reach these temperatures you are subject to a flashback experience. Starting with fresh lump is more than just an airflow consideration. Lump soaked with the fat from a couple of butts can be dangerous. The Naked Whiz has a great explanation of this danger on his site. Read and heed...
    [ul][li]Flashback[/ul]
  • docrjh
    docrjh Posts: 21
    Egg Newbie,
    One more thought, for the sake of thoroughness is something I learned from the people at BGE when I had this problem. ( I am NOT a newbie) If your lump has ever been damp, it may never reach high temps. Apparently the lump is manufactured in a low oxygen environment, and it behaves much like a sponge absorbing moisture. As the lump approaches mid range temps it exudes moisture (steam) and that will drive the temp down, or something to that effect. I changed bags (BGE lump) and was good to go after that.[p]docrjh