Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Putting on some spare ribs today after reading some posts a few weeks ago regarding baby backs vs. spare ribs. Am thinking about doing them the 3-1-1.5 method. Is this a good way to do them? Do I have to adjust the times? Any other suggestions? Have always done baby backs and I do like the 3-1-1.5 method.

Comments

• Chuter,[p]I only do spare ribs anymore. I admit that the baby backs are more tender, but they dry out quicker and don't have the flavor of spares(IMHO). I do the 3-1-1 on spares that have been rubbed, put up overnight, and brought to room temp. I use a mixture of apple juice and orange juice when they're in the foil, and I save the sauce basting for the last 15-20 minutes.[p]Good luck!
    Hank

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Hank,[p]I have done both Spare & Baby Backs, I really like the Spare Ribs when I can find them in a smaller size. I get my Ribs at Sam's & it seems like the Spare Ribs that they handle are VERY LARGE. So I have went back to Baby Backs. [p] Dave

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Chuter,
    I did spares yesterday and followed Chris's directions at Dizzy Pig. They came out very well. No foil, about 5 hours.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dave,
    do you trim them down to st. louis style? i find that really makes them manageable. i cut off the flap, etc. trim the slab into three racks, and cut the trimmings up into portions. [p]everything gets cooked at once.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Hank,
    i've found that spares need to go sometimes as long as 7 hours at 250 before getting tender. they are more meaty than the b-backs, and i find they don't get done as fast.[p]i don't foil though, could be part of the reason my spares take longer.[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Chuter,
    if thats the method that works for you then go ahead and do it with the spares. the only difference is the foil stage, after cooking them for the hour check them, you may want to continue this step a litlle longer with the spares before taking the foil off. ive just been cooking them either direct or inderect till done, 4-6 hours, but the 311 method also works, do what you like for ribs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    2153d794.jpg
    <p />Dave,[p]Like stike mentioned, cut the slab down yourself. I actually like the trim as much or better than the rack. The scraps, lower right, is the discard pile (membrane and fat trimmings)[p]af398963.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    there you go, man![p]...the popoularity of babybacks is a triumph of advertising and marketing, i don't think they have anything going for them at the price they are sold.

• thirdeye
    Options
    stike,[p]Without stepping on anybody's toes, I'll agree spares are a better value in my book. Some folks love them so I still cook BB's when requested and try to do my best.[p]378d3f33.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    oopos[p]perhaps i came across a bit too 'convinced' upon the issues of spares vs. b-backs! [p]"value" is a better word for it... well put.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    stike,
    I know it's just a difference of opinion, but the Baby Backs I've been buying at my nearest Sams Club in bulk (box) are usually leaner than any spares I can buy. All I can find is the big chain cryovac ribs and they are pumped with the "solution" and usually loaded down with fat. [p] Plus the Baby backs fit my Egg easier than spares, and three racks feed my family just perfectly.[p] I still love Spares, but just haven't found any I was crazy about lately. Good BB are more available to me.[p]Gotta love ribs, any kind!

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I like the cut of that jib! I have never known how to cut St. Louis style out of the spares. Do you just follow the joint lengthwise, where do you stop, etc? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.[p]Scott

• thirdeye
    Options
    SouthOfI10,[p]I think it easier to start your cut on the wide end of the slab. If you watch someone do it once, it's easy. You are a pro after you trim 3 slabs. The link below will take to my step-by-step page for spare ribs.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

[ul][li]Spares[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Man, that is beautiful! I'll be doing a slab tomorrow. Too many brews to drive to the store tonight.[p]Thanks for such detail![p]s

• stike,[p]Curious, if you don't foil is there a point during the cook when you start turning the ribs over? Are you able to get the ribs break off when you lift them? I always foil but wanted to try this way next time just to see what happens. My worse fear is they will dry out, get too tough an outer crust and/or won't tenderize.[p]Howard

• stike,
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I've never done ribs THAT long, but I have gone just past 5 on occasions. I generally judge the time by the fat/meat ratio and give the thickest part of a batch a poke with a fork toward the end.