Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Help

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In prep for the National Championship game, I am looking for ideas on cooking beef tenderloin for my guests. My prime interest is proper temperature, direct v. indirect, etc. Internal temp is the easy part.[p]Thanks in advance and Go Bucks!

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    PCO3,[p]A recipe I use often in the oven, but haven't tried in the Egg, is very simple. (note: I'd have tried it on the Egg except my spouse refuses to let me play around with a $90 cut of meat!) (A couple tablespoons of cracked pepper, one of garlic powder, some salt (or combine the last two as garlic salt,) and a half cup of Worcestershire sauce. Pour the last over the tenderloin and then roll in the mixture of the others. Make a boat of a couple layers of foil, put the tenderloin in, roast at 350 for about 45 minutes. I pull about 125 degrees and let rest for a nice medium rare. [p]Although I do this in the oven without anything underneath, in the Egg I'd probably do it indirect to keep the bottom from burning. Or at least at a very high grid level. [p]I don't know any reason you couldn't duplicate this with a different combination of spices/rubs/whatever. [p]The original recipe comes from the Durham, NC Junior League cookbook from about 25 years ago.

• PCO3,
    I cooked one last night that was good.[p]Inject with single malt.
    Rub with garlic, Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
    Sear 2 inches above flaiming coals.
    Move to raised grid at 400* dome 'till 120* internal.
    Wrap and let sit 1 hour.
    Slice & Serve.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    PCO3,[p]I got my instructions from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook- 425 indirect, no sear, cook to temp.[p]I rubbed in with olive oil, S & P, and less than a half pinch of garlic powder.[p]After the cook, I foiled it, let it rest for an hour, and got out of the way when I set it on the table. Good stuff.[p]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Michael B,[p]Hmmmm . . . while the idea is appealing, what does the single malt add? Is there a benefit in careful selection of said malt? Would an heavy-peat Islay (e.g., Laphroaig) add something not possible with a more typical highland (e.g., Macallan or Glenmorangie)? What about a blend rather than single malt? This has all sorts of interesting implications!